We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 night safari honeymoon - advice please!

Which Masai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
3 night safari honeymoon - advice please!

I am looking to go on safari on 1oth July for 3 nights. It will be my first time and was struggling to decide on the itinery and was unsure about a few details:

I want to spend most time in Masai mara, is it worth sacrificing 1 night in lake Nakuru? Or best to spend all 3 nights in mara?

I have had a quote from diwaka tours for $1200 pp for basic accom in nairobi then transfer for 2 nights at mara sopa lodge and 1 night at lake Nakuru flamingo camp. Does this sound like a reasonable quote? Are diwaka reputable?

I don't mind a group tour - would this bring the price down? If so what's the best way to arrange this?

Any other bits of advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Qatar
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 night safari honeymoon - advice please!

Dear Fiaz,

As it a honeymoon tour a private tour would be ideal. You would rather do a 3 nights tour in Masai Mara and instead of driving fly in and out of Mara, it will translate to a cheaper. You could also explore an option of beach extension Mombasa or Zanzibar.

Enjoy..

Masai Mara National...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 night safari honeymoon - advice please!

Halo,

I see your title is 3-night safari honeymoon, is it that you are on your honeymoon? If so then 3days spent in different places will leave you tired and exhausted. I would suggest you book a Safari to the Masai Mara especially self-drive package, that way you will be picked by a driver guide from day 1 and be able to site see Nairobi, then visit Lake Nakuru all on your way to Masai Mara. Then spend all your Nights at the Mara enjoying total luxury, privacy and comfort.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 night safari honeymoon - advice please!

Unless you wake up very early & leave as early as dawn to get into Nakuru by 8/9am, then 1 night Nakuru & 2 nights Mara.

If you want to take it easy & have trouble waking up in the morning, then 3 nights in the Mara.

In Nakuru, consider Sarova Lion Hill Camp

London
Level Contributor
109 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 night safari honeymoon - advice please!

Hi,

Your itinerary sounds good to me, whilst nothing beats the Mara, Lake Nakuru has its own charm and you're almost guaranteed to spot the rhino there.. I think the price may be a tad on the high side, esp seeing at you're travelling by road. i'd ask around a bit more and get a few more quotes.

If you wanna splash out a lil for your honeymoon, check out the hot air balloon safari's in the Mara, they would be perfect for the occasion.

Enjoy :)

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 night safari honeymoon - advice please!

Might I recommend Heritage Hotels' properties in the Masai Mara (www.heritage-eastafrica.com). I had the privilege of attending a wedding at the Great Rift Valley Lodge and then the bride and groom went off to spend the first part of their honeymoon at Mara Intrepids ... and I hear they had a wonderful time!!

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 night safari honeymoon - advice please!

How are you getting from the Nairobi to the Masai Mara. If driving then be aware that this will take a good 4- 5 hours each way so will already be eating into your 3 days. If you add on a detour to Lake Nakuru you will be spending even longer on the road.

If you want to maximise your game viewing then, with only 3 days I would stay in the Masai Mara.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 night safari honeymoon - advice please!

I would book 3 nights in the Mara. You will have a greater experience with game, then spending a lot of time driving to Nakuru.

I would second the Heritage properties.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,419 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 night safari honeymoon - advice please!

Just arrange the 3/nts in the Mara.

If driving with own guide/vehicle it's 5/hrs each way. Guide/vehicle cost per day ranges from $100-$125/person/day.

If flying, 50/min, (return air is a tad less than $300/person... and worth the cost) you'll have your game drives on a shared basis with others at the lodge or camp. And, if at the Sopa it will be a full vehicle. You can always arrange for exclusive use of vehicle at a fee of between $200-$400/day.

Personally, I wouldn't stay at the Sopa that isn't well situated... rather a lodge or camp in the Reserve or private conservancies that are smaller and more intimate and for your honeymoon... simply nicer and more attentive.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 night safari honeymoon - advice please!

I also wouldn't stay at the Sopa for my honeymoon. I do quite like some of the Sopa lodges and the staff here are lovely but I found the rooms at the Mara Sopa very dark and very noisy (you can easily hear your neighbours!!).

Edited: 03 May 2012, 16:49
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 night safari honeymoon - advice please!

I would also strongly recommend three nights in the Mara. Lake Nakuru is too busy and the two lodges too cramped to feel like a honeymoon. I stayed at a wonderful Mara camp the week before last - Leleshwa. If you want a real safari experience, but with fantastic food in a beautiful setting and masses of wildlife, this would be a very good choice.

Richard

Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics