We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to Mara Serena Lodge

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
972 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative to Mara Serena Lodge

I had decided on Mara Serena Lodge for 2 nights from 31 August to 2 September. But it is unfortunately full. They offering me Mara Sopa Lodge but I am not convinced on it. Can you suggest some alternatives? Thanks

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to Mara Serena Lodge

What is your per person, per night budget?

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
972 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to Mara Serena Lodge

1000 to 1600 rand per person per night

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to Mara Serena Lodge

Sorry, we don't use Rand here; Kenya shillings is the currency, or USD.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
972 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative to Mara Serena Lodge

125 to 150 USD per person per night. Can extend upto 200 USD if really worth. sorry for using wrong currency

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative to Mara Serena Lodge

No problem :-)

Here are a few suggestions:

Karen Blixen Camp - starts at US$185 pppns full board

Ilkeliani Camp - starts at US$100 pppns full board

Kilima Camp - starts at US$200 pppns full board

There's nothing wrong with Mara Sopa but it is very much geared toward the "mass tourism" market; if you are looking for a smaller, more personalised and authentic experience in the Masai Mara, the above camps will fit the bill perfectly. Unfortunately you will be coming in peak season, so the prices will reflect this. Sorry not to be able to offer more suggestions!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative to Mara Serena Lodge

Ooh, just remembered another camp you might consider:

Mara West Luxury Tents - starting a US$190 pppns full board advantage-ea.com/index.php/categories/unique…

Please let me know if you need assistance in booking/getting good rates; I can refer you to a local TO who will be able to help you, via PM.

All the best,

Edited: 22 May 2012, 08:21
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
972 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative to Mara Serena Lodge

Any recommendation for lodges?

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative to Mara Serena Lodge

Try this site: africanmeccasafaris.com/kenya/guide/kenyamas…

or in fact this (Trip Advisor) site!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Search?q=Masai+Mara+Lodges&geo=294206&returnTo=http%253A__2F____2F__www__2E__tripadvisor__2E__co__2E__uk__2F__ShowForum__2D__g294206__2D__i9216__2D__Kenya__2E__html#ssrc=m,o=10,c=local

You'll need to get quotes direct from the lodges, we're only advisors on here, not travel agents!!

Min

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative to Mara Serena Lodge

Hi,

the problem will be, that most of the good alternatives will be full - maybe worth to have a look at Keekorok Lodge.

With other lodges - the choices are very limited.

If you want to stay in a lodge maybe Mara Simba Lodge at least - would not be my choice.

If you want to stay in a bigger compound - maybe have an eye on the Mara Sarova.

We had the luck to get rooms at Mara Serena and Mara Intrepids, but we booked some months ago.

Bye

Chrissy

10. Re: Alternative to Mara Serena Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:41
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics