We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masai Mara Balloon Ride

Chicago
Level Contributor
106 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Masai Mara Balloon Ride

We plan to be in Mara for 2 nights and we were wondering if the Balloon ride is a must take? We have taken balloon rides before in Tirkey so we are not new to the experience but I was wondering if this should be a great experience given the migration time? I have seen most balloon rides early in the morning, so I am not sure how many animals do you really get to see (especialy given that the wind direction controls the flow of the balloon).

Also its not very inexpensive I hear ($450?)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Masai Mara Balloon Ride

Am traveling next week to Masai Mara. Just wanted to kow what would be the approx cost for the Hot Air balloon ride ?

My travel agent is saying around $550 if i pre-book it, where as on some of the forums i have read it is around $400-450.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Masai Mara Balloon Ride

It should be no more than $450 whether pre-booked or not. Some operators charge $435.

Edited: 10 August 2012, 07:07
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Masai Mara Balloon Ride

&Beyond charges $530…

All these prices are *massively* over what they should be.

Richard

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Masai Mara Balloon Ride

Ya, hot air balloon is expensive, for only 1 hour. But I have never done it before and really wanna experience it, so I will still do it. My TA offers USD 450 pp, and requires full payment now. I'm looking forward...

Alexandria, VA USA
Level Contributor
587 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Masai Mara Balloon Ride

I went 10 days ago. It was a fabulous experience, though I had never done a balloon before so that was part of the excitement. We didn't see many animals from the air. But, we did see an amazing sunrise and incredible views. I am so glad I went! The quiet of the early morning was very special.

The breakfast was nice, but the drive back to the resort with the balloon company's driver was a true highlight. We got our first look at lions on honeymoon during that drive!

It really comes down to personal preference and whether or not you want to spend $450.

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Masai Mara Balloon Ride

We flew a lot from park to park... And i agree, it is not the same experience as the balloon ride.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Masai Mara Balloon Ride

As I have read it you get a night time/just before dawn drive out to the take off point which might yield morning game drive results and given that you can be some distance above the mara you see game in perspective that you dont get on the ground. If you have other morning and afternoon game drives its probably worth it. If you only have one other or less game drives it might not be worth it. It is expensive.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Masai Mara Balloon Ride

Hi,

Was it cold / windy during the ride? How cold?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Masai Mara Balloon Ride

Mornings are cold, so be dressed appropriately. Lift-off is about 6am, aloft 1/hr and on landing champagne breakfast. So it won't have warmed up yet when finished with breakfast... still a bit nippy.

A hat and gloves are not unusual to wear, in addition to a fleece or other layers on the body itself.

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Masai Mara Balloon Ride

we are so disappointed that Amboseli has stopped all hot air balloon rides....we were booked for ours seoptember, BUT cant do it now...........anyone know differently :-)