We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
537 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

We are planning for a five day (four nights) Nairobi/Masai Mara/Lake Nakuru tirp in August. We will be spending one and half days in Lake Nakru and 2 and half days in Masai Mara.

My question: do we need 2 and half days (with five safari trips) to see the wild life? or can we cut it short by one and half days (with three safari trips)?

Appreciate your advice

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

Three safaris in four nights is not advisable. Masai Mara is huge and there is a lot to see. Even 2.5 days is a very short time to spend there.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

Thanks FLFourOneZero, I understand.

The itinerary suggested to me by the TO says one evening game drive on arrival and then morning and evening drives the next two days, which makes it five safari drives. Plus we will be doing another one and half days drive at Lake Nakuru. I was just wondering whether it will be repetitive or boring.

Will they be taking us in different directions every time so that we get wider choices of wildlife to see?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

If you can add an extra night, you should be fine - 2N in Nakuru & 3N in Mara.

It's a 5-6 hr drive to the Mara & you are going to be very exhausted to do anything on your 1st day in the Mara.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

August in the Mara is truly amazing because of the migration. Spend as much time here as you are able, you won't regret it. Until you have sat in this wonderful open countryside watching & listening to the 10s of thousands of animals as they graze the luscious grasses you haven't lived. Enjoy your trip, you'll be absolutely flabbergasted!!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

Assume departing Nairobi/NBO first in morning, it's about 2.5-3/hrs drive to Nakuru, where you can go right into game drive for however long you feel is needed. It's a small park that rarely requires more than 1/nt.

From here it's a 5/hr drive south to the Mara on some really nasty roads, where you won't arrive before lunch earliest.

And, I assume you'll then drive back to NBO which is again 5/hrs minimum.

I'd do 1/nt at Nakuru and the balance of your stay in the Mara.

LA
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

Yes ... you definitely need 2-1/2 days at the Mara. That is - if you love the animals at all. If you are just one of those tourists who snap a picture of a herd of wildebeest and say "OK I've seen it" ... then you can leave in a day. But you will need the full time to see most of the spectacular animals.

Edited: 13 June 2012, 01:40
Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

honestly, we found 1 night in Nakuru to be sufficient.. you see the pelicans and flamingoes.. baboon cliff.. do a game drive then head to Maasai Mara.. it

is definitely worth the extra time

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations. I have decided to stay an extra day at MM. I am looking at Mara Sopa lodge and Mara Lesure Camp; which is better?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

Of the two, Mara Leisure Camp.

Sopa is a rather large lodge and located outside the Reserve way to the east... in other words, not well sited.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

Hi,

another vote for the Mara Leisure Camp - especially for its location at the Talek River and as mentioned because of its size.

We stayed there in february 2009.

Bye

Chrissy

Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics