We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

Which Masai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
489 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

We are planning for a five day (four nights) Nairobi/Masai Mara/Lake Nakuru tirp in August. We will be spending one and half days in Lake Nakru and 2 and half days in Masai Mara.

My question: do we need 2 and half days (with five safari trips) to see the wild life? or can we cut it short by one and half days (with three safari trips)?

Appreciate your advice

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

Karan - MLC is right on the edge of the park; the Talek River forms the border with the park, and the camp is situated on the edge of the river, just outside the park. The only reason it takes 15-20 minutes to get into the park is because you are required to enter through through the park gates. Not, in my opinion, one of the most spectacular locations in the Mara though, and I've lived in a few there.

Inside the reserve you could try Governors Camps - Little Governors is in a stunning location right on a swamp, beside the Mara River and unfenced so very interesting when the eles decide to wander through governorscamp.com/property-descriptions/gove…

Just outside the reserve is Mara West, which is a lovely camp with three levels of accommodation - very basic (students and interns love this!), luxury tents and luxurious chalets. Also in the vicinity is Kilima Camp, which has unparallelled views from the top of the Siria (Olooloolo) Escarpment. Both camps access the reserve, on the Mara Triangle side (better-managed) via the Olooloolo Gate.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 19 June 2012, 13:26
Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
489 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

Thanks a ton FLFourOneZero. That was really a very valubale information. I will start hunting again through my TO.

I am told that it is aready late for July/August to find accommodation. Is early Sept would be good? Will we still be able to see some migration?

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

I'm afraid not. You have to pay a premium to stay in the park but believe me it's well worth it. You'll be viewing animals before the outsiders have gained access to the park.

London, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

I too am monitoring this post. We are inexperienced safari goers, so really want to savour the experience.

Given that we plan to arrive midday on Day 1, stay overnight Day 1, 2, 3 & 4, departing after lunch day 5.

That would be 3 full days and a half day either side. Some TOs are advising 3 nights only, so am reading the views here with intrigue. I don't fancy another long drive to catch one more night at another park, so am really deciding between 3 or 4 nights and am leaning towards 4 given the comments.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

"Is early Sept would be good? Will we still be able to see some migration?"

There's no guarantee but it would be highly likely :-)

Good luck with your search!

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
489 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

Hmmm, difficult choice. let me try my luck.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
489 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

I have recieved quotes for stay at Entim Mara and Kilima Camp- both seem to be Ok. Pricewise Entim is on the higher side.

Which one is better from the point of safari rides to spot B5s and the migration?

FLFourOneZero said Kilima's location very good though it is outside the park gate. What about Entim?

Also, I suppose both camps can be reached by road transport from Nairobi.

Appreciate your help.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

Entim is right inside the park! It's also more luxurious than Kilima. I hadn't even thought of suggesting it. Personally, I'd pay the extra and go for Entim. It also has superb reviews on here tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294209-d804877…

LA
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

you definitely need at least 2-1/2 days at the Mara. Do not cut this time short - or you will have really short-changed yourself. The Mara is a fantastic place, and there is a lot to see. It requires patience and a good pair of eyes. Do not get into a headlong rush when you visit Kenya. That is very un-African and it's a big mistake. Slow down. These are incredible places. Take time to ENJOY them! The more you rush around Kenya ... the more you will miss. :-(

30. Re: How many days at the Masai Mara reserve?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics