We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhino,s

sheffield
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Rhino,s

Hi I’m planning to visit the Masai mara in November for a 4 night 5 day safari travelling from Mombassa, the question I have is would I be guaranteed to see Rhino’s during my visit to the mara or would I have a better chance if i split my safari with another of the national parks if so which would you suggest any help would be gratefully appreciated

Many thanks Les

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
724 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhino,s

Les, anyone will tell you there is no such thing as a guarantee. many of the guides we used had not seen one in a long time in the Mara, they are there, but its such a vast area.

To ensure I did see the big 5 we went up north as well and stayed at Porini rhino camp, we were lucky enough to see 22 rhinos in one day!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhino,s

Correct. NO guarantees. It is not a zoo.

Black Rhino are in there but you can hedge your bet if you wish by visiting Lake Nakuru NP where White Rhino are far more visible.

Further afield so not applicable for your time frame is Ngorongoro in Tanzania where you should almost be certain of seeing Black Rhino.

but for a real Rhino fix head for Namibia and go looking for them on foot.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhino,s

The easiest place – by far – to see both species is Nairobi National Park. There are some very impressive beasts there, and plenty of young.

Richard

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhino,s

Hi Les,

if you go to Ol Pejeta conservancy 3-3 1/2 hrs north of NBO you will see, I guarantee rhino and the chance to see all three, nothern white rhino, only 7 known left in the world of which the last 4 of breeding possibility are there, the southern white rhino and of course the many black rhino, we have been 4 times and have never failed to see rhino everytime, chk there site

olpejetaconservancy.org/wildlife_conservatio…

Hope you go there, it's fantastic also other rarities include african wild dogs, grevy's zebra and jacksons hartebeest.

i hope this helps you

agy

some pics on our blog

www.anadventureinafrica.com

Edited: 02 July 2012, 10:12
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rhino,s

Hi Les

Will you be on a road safari, or flying safari? If a road safari, then Mombasa - Mara - Nakuru/Ol Pejata and back to Mombasa will be a huge trek with at least 25-30 hours of driving.

If you are flying, then Fly from Mombasa to the Mara and then onto Nakuru (may have to be a charter).

Alternatively you can look really really hard in the Mara, and maybe see one:)

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,241 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rhino,s

As Mfuwe says, Nakuru NP is where you are mostly likely to see rhinos.

There's a Rhino Sanctuary @ Lewa NP. if you want to head in that direction.

lewa.org/all-about-lewa/…

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rhino,s

I would second richard's suggestion. If flying through nairobi, take time out to go to the NP there. The small area makes it relatively easy, particularly if you're with a guide who knows the area. As browsers, black rhino prefer to eat the leaves of certain bushes. Know which bushes and where they are helps to locate the rhino. Add to that their terrratoriies and sightings become relativey easy.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rhino,s

There is a small protected area north of the Mara, on the Mara North Conservancy where there are two or three large rhino (momma and poppa) and last I heard, a baby of maybe 3/yrs.

Otherwise, there's Lewa where you'll find both white and black...also at Ol Pejeta Conservancy, and white rhino at Lake Nakuru.

9. Re: Rhino,s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2013, 10:15