We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After the safari

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
726 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
After the safari

We are planning on booking a 4d safari to Maasai Mara and Lake Nakaru. We have a total of 2 weeks for our vacation. Do we have time to visit Mombasa, and Zanzibar in Tanzania after the safari without feeling rushed? Should we just focus on staying in Kenya and save Tanzania for another visit?

We'd like to spend some of the time on the beach, and also do some shopping. Which location(s) would offer the best options for what we want with the time we have left?

We are going in early to mid- October.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After the safari

Maven, I'd stick to one country. Travel tontanzania can take up the best part of a day. Along the Kenyan coast, you have several options - from lame in the north, then watamu, Kilifi, and in the south diani

There are large all inclusive resorts to smaller boutique hotels. It all expends on your personal taste and budget.

What sort of shopping do ou want to do?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
726 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After the safari

I prefer to shop for local handicrafts and other items local to the culture. I am also interested in local spices and food item that I can take back to the US.

Scpecifically, jewerly, clothing, handicrafts, etc.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: After the safari

RWA - "from lame in the north" Lame! Ha! Ha! Those typos will get one all the time. RWA meant Lamu!

travelmaven - as mentioned on another of your threads and as you're traveling 'budget' - if heading to Zanzibar, you'll incur costs for another Visa @ USD$100/person, along with the Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same for entry. The YF inoc is rather costly, and only available from docs or travel clinics approved to supply (in the US)... can run $125 and up per person.

Going to Zanzibar is also best done by air and this too can be costly. By road, if there is a route would take up entire day and then once at DAR, the least expensive option would be the ferry to ZNZ (2/hrs on open Indian Ocean).

Then you have to figure if concluding on Zanzibar, from where are you heading home. Out of DAR, southern Tanzania a short 15/min flight from ZNZ (many air carriers offer 'open-jaw' tickets - arriving at one city - NBO, heading home from another - DAR). Or if arriving/departing at NBO, the flight from ZNZ to NBO.

The $$$, it's adding up!

You can find lovely beach properties to fit your budget on the Kenyan coast and for shopping, all you wish can be found. Your tour operator can offer options/prices.

Edited: 07 July 2012, 17:47
manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After the safari

Have to say I prefer Zanzibar to the Kenyan coast and consider it worth the extra expense. But if you do decide to stay in Kenya, think about Malindi or Lamu rather than Mombasa.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
726 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After the safari

I'm leaning toward staying in Kenya for all of the reasons you mentioned, costs, travel time, yellow fever certificate, etc.

I guess I'll have to save Tanzania for another visit.

Thanks.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After the safari

if you have the time and are looking for a new experience, consider to use the train for at least one of the legs between nairobi and mombasa

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
726 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: After the safari

Olivernorwell - I am thinking about using the train from Nairobi to Mombasa. Do you have a website that you can share for information on using the train in Kenya?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: After the safari

Don't have the link for the train, but know that it doesn't run daily from NBO to MOM, alternate days only and as I recall 1/day doesn't run at all.

Departs NBO 7pm, arrives MOM 7am - so overnight - if it's on time.

Same schedule on the return from MOM to NBO, 7pm - 7am.

Fare is about $70/person.

If, however, arriving NBO and heading home from NBO, you might want to allow a day for late arrival or consider flying from MOM to NBO for your homebound flight.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: After the safari

There's no website for the train (amazingly…), though several agents sell tickets for a good markup.

Trains depart Nairobi on Mon, Wed, Fri at 7pm, scheduled (not guranteed) arrival at 9.30am the next day. They depart Mombasa on Tues, Thurs and Sun, same times. As sandi says, you need to allow several hours – at least – for delays. Passengers have occasionally had to be picked up from a broken down train by bus, but I've never heard of anyone arriving later than the following afternoon.

The 1st class fare, including bedding (clean sheets, pillow, blanket), dinner and breakfast, is Ksh4405, about £33.70 or $52.40.

Richard

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,719 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: After the safari

Lots of info, photos and reports about the train here

http://www.seat61.com/Kenya.htm

Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics