We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenyan safaris

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Kenyan safaris

Hi, we have already done several safaris in Kenya and Tanzania, but feel the need to return again (those who have been before will know what I mean). I have been looking at a mobile safari advertised by Kuoni where you stay in 6 feet high canvas dome tents. We are all in our 60s and I wondered whether anyone else out there have tried one of these and think we oldies would be able to cope. It seems a shame to pay out a lot of money for the accommodation, when it is the animals and the guides that make this sort of holiday. Any advice please?

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Serian Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Freeman Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris, Photography Tours
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,214 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenyan safaris

Will you be sleeping in sleeping bags ? Do the tents have mossie nets ?

In my opinion, at that age, i don't think you will be able to withstand the mossies & creepy crawlies, when camping wild in the bush.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenyan safaris

Beds/cots/linens provided or have to use sleeping bags?

Mossie nets?

What about the loo/shower? Ensuite? or Shared? How far from tent? With or without hot water?

Where visiting? Areas? Where camp located in relation to area, i.e., Mara, Amboseli, the Lakes areas, Samburu, other? Inside the parks/reserves or quite a distance?

Whatever else is important to you... best you have Kuoni provide ALL the details.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenyan safaris

A bad nights sleep, and the safari ain't going to be fun. Stay comfortably and enjoy your safari experience.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenyan safaris

Good for Kuoni for offering this – I think it sounds fantastic! It's definitely a budget camping safari, but the tents will be mosquito-proof, and you'll have mattresses and/or camp beds. The operator on the ground is Gamewatchers, who also run the excellent Porini camps, so no worries there, they're a very good company, and you'll be in the community conservancies of Selengei near Amboseli and Ol Kinyei outside the Maasai Mara National Reserve. You'll them virtually to yourselves.

I would absolutely go for it.

Richard

Way up North, USA
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenyan safaris

I'm seriously considering doing this Gamewatchers 6 night adventure camp next August. I'm 45 and my husband is 53, and this is our first time to Africa. I think it will be fun and the price is right. There are some reviews and more photos on this site. tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g298252-d2281…

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenyan safaris

We too are in our 60s. We have booked to go on this trip next September. Done other safaris but think this will be great. Don't listen to the negative comments, just go and enjoy it all (like we intend to do!)

7. Re: Kenyan safaris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2013, 10:16