We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the best time to go to masai mara safari?

Abu Dhabi, Abu...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
what is the best time to go to masai mara safari?

we are planning for a safari trip to masai mara for a week. since this is our first time in africa, we would like to know what is the best time to go there?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is the best time to go to masai mara safari?

You can enjoy a safari any time of the year. However, the most popular seasons are mid December to mid March and August to October due to school breaks and winter holidays.

This is also the time when Masai Mara is packed with thousands of wildebeest migration and zebras which happens July to October of every year from Serengeti National Park in Tanzania.

All in all just enjoy your safari and hospitality of kenyan people.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is the best time to go to masai mara safari?

Migration Time is from mid July to Mid September

this is the only time to go......

nyc
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what is the best time to go to masai mara safari?

July-Oct is also the most expensive period... for consideration when planning and how far your budget will take you.

Otherwise, anytime is good except that the 'migration' isn't here, but there are resident wildebeest in the Mara year-round.

Good luck with your plans.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
133 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is the best time to go to masai mara safari?

August-October is the best time thou expensive due to peak season but if you book well in advance the better and you can get a good offer.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,023 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what is the best time to go to masai mara safari?

Migration time is also the busiest time, and the Mara is a notoriously busy park. Personally I would avoid migration time to avoid the crowds. I'd also stay in the private concessions rather than the main reserve.

It depends what your priorities are- I don't like sitting at a sighting with 20 other vehicles, and I'll happily sacrifice seeing the migration to avoid it. Plus there's the bonus of lower prices.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what is the best time to go to masai mara safari?

I agree with Stokeygirl. I avoid July/August because I've found it just too crowded. My favourite times are April and October - yes it is the rainy season (if Kenya is lucky and the rains come). Its quieter, cheaper and you still get to see some amazing wildlife.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what is the best time to go to masai mara safari?

Everyone's got their own opinion but if it's your first time go end August / beg September as this is peak migration time & a wonderful time to be in the Mara. Yes it's busy, yes there's loads of tourists in their jeeps but you are virtually guaranteed of great weather and amazing animal sights - which is what you ar going for, isn't it ?

I am returning this year for the 6th time, last year we went in June, this year we're trying November, all other previous visits were during the migration. We are lucky, we've been there & seen it all, now we prefer the quieter times with less tourists, less traffic but knowing our favourite 'cats' will be there.

Experience what the Mara is all about during the migration if it's your first visit. If you enjoy it (and quite frakly you really should !) you can always go back another time & be more choosy by picking a less busy time :o)

8. Re: what is the best time to go to masai mara safari?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 January 2013, 19:05
Edited: 26 January 2013, 19:05
Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what is the best time to go to masai mara safari?

please stop posting the same self promotion on all the topic forums, self promoting is not allowed under ta rules and you posts will only get deleted

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what is the best time to go to masai mara safari?

Getting tedious now. We can all copy and paste!

Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics