We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarova Mara or Ashnil Mara Camp?

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Sarova Mara or Ashnil Mara Camp?

Hello,

We had decided to stay at Royal Mara but I have sent them repeated email for reservation and phone call as well but no luck! and no reply. We are going in July and we are almost late!

I am now looking at Sarova Mara and Ashnil Mara. Does anyone know if both this places are located inside the park and which park? And do you recommend them and if yes which one?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarova Mara or Ashnil Mara Camp?

I am not familiar with those camps but the following website is good for finding ou about locations.

africatravelresource.com/africa/…

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarova Mara or Ashnil Mara Camp?

Have recently returned from Ashnil Mara,

was engaged there in fact!

Beautiful accomadation, lovely pool for between drives, lovely food, sometimes menu, sometimes buffet.

Staff are fantastic, view into the river form bar area great- can watch the hippos and crocs while you relax with a drink!

Havnt been to sarova but have absoilutly no complaints over Ashnil

:)

new york city
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarova Mara or Ashnil Mara Camp?

While Ashnil gets nice reviews I would not stay there because of them building it on a rhino habitat, serious conservation issues with this camp.

wildlifeextra.com/go/news/somak-kenya.html#cr

nyc
Level Contributor
14,739 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarova Mara or Ashnil Mara Camp?

Sounds as you're trying to book this direct. So I'd suggest if you want Royal Mara, you have a tour outfitter handle for you.

The outfitters seem to have better responses from specific properties as these are the folks who send business to the various camps/lodges. That's not to say individual properties don't reply, but they're very very busy and tend to reply to outfitters first than individual clients.

A tour operator should also be able to obtain lower rates.

Sarova is rather large and located inside the Reserve.

Ashnil, as above - stay away for the reasons mentioned. Though the camp itself is nice, it has lots of concrete and razor wire above their high fences surrounding the camp. Not very eco-friendly.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarova Mara or Ashnil Mara Camp?

I am very surprised. Whenever i emailed Royal Mara, i had a reply within 24 hours!! Wonder if their line is down, ithey are a very professional family and it is VERY unusual that they didnt reply. Usually the owner's son, Geworge Jr, will write and answer all questions.

As Sandi said, book instead with a tour company, Their prices are better too than the one you will be quoted direct form Royal Mara.

Try Shadrack at Glorious Safaris. He replied almost immediately. Shadrack@glorioussafaris.com

His price for Royal Mara, including flight roundtrip from Nairobi,was fantastic!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sarova Mara or Ashnil Mara Camp?

Thanks everyone, very helpful. Ya Royal Mara use to respond immediately in the enquiry process but now that we are ready to make a reservation for 23 ppl I havent got a reply. I even called them, oh well!! lets see...I will check with travel agent about Royal Maara and Sarova.

Thanks again!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sarova Mara or Ashnil Mara Camp?

Jaz, if you are booking 23 people, and I am assuming after a wedding in Nairobi, get your relatives in Nairobi to get the bookings done for you. WIll be much easier, and cheaper then direct with the properties. Tell me if my assumption is wrong.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sarova Mara or Ashnil Mara Camp?

as far as razor wire?

clearly you havnt been there- as there is no such thing,

and regarding conservation im pretty sure all the camps interfered with wildlife when it was built, we still saw plenty of rhino :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sarova Mara or Ashnil Mara Camp?

I agree a couple of the posts above - there is no way I would ever stay at or recommend Ashnil because of the specific location where they built their camp (in a black rhino habitat). Absolutely shameful.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,739 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sarova Mara or Ashnil Mara Camp?

I certainly was at Ashnil and I know razor wire when I see it. It's there.

23 people for Royal Mara? Are you kidding? There are only 6/tents (or is it 8/tents?)

Where would they put every one?

Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics