We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somak safaris

Nth Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Somak safaris

can anyone tell me what somak safaris are like, going at the end of july doing masai safari staying at samburu serena, lake nakuru, mountain lodge and mara serena lodge

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somak safaris

You will have a great time, Somak are a very professional company, well maintained vehicles and excellent guides. You are also staying at some of the top lodges Kenya has to offer. The standard of service, food and accommodation in the Serena lodges is definitely the best I have experienced whilst staying in lodges on safari. Lake Nakuru lodge is not up to the standards of the Serena lodges but as you are travelling with Somak you will be accommodated in the new rooms in the Somak wing which are very good. The advantage of travelling with Somak is that they have a safari lounge in Nairobi which you can use whilst waiting for your flight to Mombasa, a hot shower, meal and complementary tea and coffee much better than hanging around an airport with no air con. You can also store your main luggage at the lounge while you are on safari and collect it before flying to Mombasa.

The link below has some details and a few photos of the lodges you are staying in.

Enjoy your stay and if you find the link useful give it a vote I could do with the $500

Bruce

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1700-Kenyan_lo…

London, United...
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Somak safaris

We did a weeks Safari with Somak in September last year, we went to the Masai Mara, Lake Nakuru, Aberdare and then Samburu. Have a look at our pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55866253@N00/

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somak safaris

I've been 'nominating' you all over the place Bruce!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somak safaris

..........and voted on the 'Go' list.

Aberlour, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somak safaris

We did the same safari with Somak at Easter-you won't be disappointed. When we were there however, the Samburu river burst it's banks and flooded the Samburu Serena-it was scary. I had picked my tree!I believe it's ok now and the rainy season is by anyway. If you find a small 35mm camera, it's mine lost in the emergency evacuation!

It is an amazing holiday, so much so that we've had real problems booking for the summer. too hard an act to follow!

WE didn't do the very expensive balloon trip by the way and didn't regret it at all.

Food is great, animals are off the scale-I wisk I was going again!

Do prepare yourself for lots of poverty and some very long uncomfortable drives. During the drives you'll have 'comfort stops' at various 'shops' which have loos. You're told that they ask for double the price something is worth. No they don't. Their prices are astronomical compared to the hotels.

Take pens-the people seem to be very keen on them! You can bartar with goods as well but the people are so poor-one guy wanted my partners shoes. We took loads of stuff like sweets and coloured pencils for the children. You'll get people swarming around your van-they will take pound coins which will be a lot of money to them.

WE got lots of nice souvenirs from the Masai women at the entrance to the MAsai Mara-good prices.

The Mara is indescribable. Take plenty anti diahoerreal meds.No matter how careful you are about not eating ice, salads etc, it's likely to happen but the food is great as I said-even for a veggie like me.

It's the experience of a lifetime-you'll never be the same person again.

A fun start is trying to spot the safari people at Heathrow-lots of khaki going on!

HAve a brilliant time you lucky people!

LINda

Nth Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somak safaris

thanks for that Linda

one more question did you have time to use the pools or is all your time taken up.

Aberlour, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Somak safaris

Hi brella

Yes, there was time for the pools but they were freezing when we were there! Should've heated up by the time you get there!

Have fun!

Linda

8. Re: Somak safaris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics