We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which safari in East Africa.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Which safari in East Africa.

My partner and I are travelling to East Africa late December 2013 and planning to do a private safari for 14 days. We've found 2 safaris that we like, one goes to Masai Mara and the other doesn't. We are trying to decide whether we should go to Masai Mara or not. The first safari leaves from Arusha (1 night), Tarangire National Park (2 nights), Lake Manyara (1 night), Lake Eyasi (2 Nights), Ndutu area (2 nights), Serengetti National Park (2 nights), Nth Serengetti (1 night), Ngorogoro area (3 nights) and back to Arusha.

The 2nd safari leaves from Nairobi, Amboselli (1 night), Lake Nakuru (1 night), Masai Mara (2 nights), Lake Victoria (1 night), Serengetti (2 nights), Serengetti Ngutu area (1 night),Ngorogoro area (2 nights), Lake Eyasi (1 night), Manyari-Tarangire (2 nights) and Tarangire-Arusha (1 night). Seems to be a lot of traveling around Masai Mara area. How much is there to see in Masai Mara. Is it worth the travelling? Or is there a better way of somehow combining the 2 safaris to get the best of both. Any ideas are welcome. Thanking you in advance.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which safari in East Africa.

Wendy, these safari's both seem very intensive. Are you driving from one place to the next? I would guess you are. You will be spending heaps of time in transfers.

I would stick to a maximum of 4 National Parks for 14 days, and spend between 3-4 nights at each. Also I would stick to one country - either Kenya or Tanzania.

My preference would be Kenya.

I would suggest the following:

3 nights Laikipia Area

3 nights Samburu or Meru

1 night Lake Nakuru

4 nights Mara

2 nights Nairobi

Good luck RWA

nyc
Level Contributor
14,739 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which safari in East Africa.

Both have too many stops and more time spent in-transit. Besides Visas for both countries and Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same for entry to/from/between countries... the Mara and/or Serengeti deserve minimum 3/nts each, and most others at least 2/nts. While a few are good for 1/nt as it shortens the drive time between one prime area to another, you want to avoid these.

As RWA, pick one country and stick with it. Best to design your own itinerary.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which safari in East Africa.

Thank you for your suggestions RWA. Firstly, yes we are driving. We haven't heard of some of the places you have suggested so I guess we need to do a bit more research. Why is your preference Kenya? Also are we likely to see any part of the wildebeest at that time of the year?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which safari in East Africa.

Thank you also for your feedback 4sandi and your ideas. So are you saying we need yellow fever vaccination if we travel between 2 countries? We realised that the Kenya itinerary had a lot of travelling time, however we thought the Tanzania trip didn't have as much travel time. Will ask the tour company of the mileage involved to each destination and that will give us a better idea. So we are still stuck whether to do Kenya or Tanzania. The proposed itinerary for Tanzania sounded so exciting to us. It included activities with the locals and bush walks. If we go with Tanzania, will we be missing a lot at Masai Mara or will the Serengetti and crater make up for it all?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which safari in East Africa.

Hi,

You won't need the Yellow Fever vaccination or certificate to enter Kenya, you would need it if you travel from Kenya into Tanzania or any other Sub-Saharan African country.

However, as you are from Australia you will need the Yellow Fever vaccination anyway, if you return to Australia within 6 days of leaving either Kenya or Tanzania you will need to show the certificate when you re-enter Australia (Australian Immigration rules)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which safari in East Africa.

Doffcocker, I didn't know that we needed the yellow fever vaccination - thank you for letting me know.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which safari in East Africa.

Actually, I think Australia's rules may have changed in recent years. From the Aus official health website, you don't need a YF certificate to get back into Australia:

http://www.health.gov.au/yellowfever#9

But if you're crossing borders in East Africa, you'll need one anyway.

Richard Trillo

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which safari in East Africa.

It seems to be a real grey area, one paragraph states if you have been in a yellow fever area within 6 days of returning to Australia you must hold a yellow fever certificate and then a following paragraph says you can enter without one. We chose to get vaccinated because I couldnt get a definitive answer and we were within the 6 day period. We returned from Kenya 2 weeks ago and were asked for our certificates at immigration in Brisbane.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which safari in East Africa.

Thanks Yankari and Mole for your feedback. Yankari, the link you sent does state that if you don't get the vaccination that you will be issued with a Yellow fever action card on your arrival into Australia. After reading all the info, have decided to go with the vaccinations, since it lasts 10 years and intending to travel to other countries in the future that recommend it. Still to decide on the safari !!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which safari in East Africa.

I had read the stuff about action plans and forwarding addresses which comes from the Health Department

http://www.health.gov.au/yellowfever#9

but as there is no ambiguity about what the Immigration Department (who presumably process you) says I went with that

immi.gov.au/allforms/…yellow-fever.htm

Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics