We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Masai Mara for great migration???

QLD, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit Masai Mara for great migration???

I am looking at spending a few weeks in Kenya and Tanzania - want to see the great migration, visit Masai Mara and Serengeti National Park. What is the best time of the year to visit these to see the great migrations?

Any other tips or advice re this would be greatly appreciated.

70 replies to this topic
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,922 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Best time to visit Masai Mara for great migration???

Yes, that's right- Steve and Annabelle. They have 2 kids, and used to manage Sosian, but set up their own camp about a year ago.

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Best time to visit Masai Mara for great migration???

Stokey, Must be them, perhaps it was last year I met them, I am obviously getting old......or perhaps the Tusker is finally getting to me!! Have to be White Cap next week then!

23. Re: Best time to visit Masai Mara for great migration???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 11:35

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Best time to visit Masai Mara for great migration???

Stokey,

Had a blinding flash at the Bar last night fueled by some good Rhum, it is not the Migration they are after per se, it is the River Crossing phase! Though few actually get to see it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Best time to visit Masai Mara for great migration???

Brooder,

Nothing like a bit of blatant self promotion hey!

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,922 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Best time to visit Masai Mara for great migration???

"it is not the Migration they are after per se, it is the River Crossing phase!"

That rum must have enhanced your mind reading skills, because I can't see them say that anywhere!

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Best time to visit Masai Mara for great migration???

Stokey, That is the only real 'different' thing that happens at the point when they all run the Mara River! I think they are all hoping to see a Beest snatched by a Croc, as the nice Mr Attenborough has shown many times!?! Otherwise, as we have discussed, you can go anytime of year, as they seldom stop moving.

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Best time to visit Masai Mara for great migration???

We went during the month of september a couple of years ago and as someone said .. These are not zoo animals.. They are going to do what their environment dictates.. It so happened there were a lot a rains prior to our visit which didn't give the animals any urgency to go anywhere.. Yes, they always seemed to be moving.. but not like you see in the documentaries.. at least not when we went.. One couple we were with waited in the jeep all day hoping to catch wilderbeast crossing the river and i don't think they did.. One can plan and plan but ultimately, a trip revolving around wildlife and nature can be a roll of the dice.

That said.. We had an amazing time.. Lots of wonderful memories.. a leopard just staring at you from 3-4 feet away is memorable.. let me tell you!! Terrifying and exhilarating all at once... And that's just one memory.

You will see more animals than you could ever count.. And the people are wonderful!!

Edited: 18 July 2013, 13:55
nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Best time to visit Masai Mara for great migration???

The wildies move year round.

Different areas - bet Dec/Mar - anywhere from So.Serengeti/Ndutu

Apr/May - the wet but the wildies hang out at Ndutu/So.Serengeti till their calves ready to move

May-early-July - towards Central Serengeti into Western Corridor

July - Oct - Northern Serengeti and into Masai Mara

Nov - the other wet when herds start to return to No.Serengeti and onto Central till at Ndutu to 'calve' their young again.

Weeks/days maybe off by a few, but that's about it.

They move when the rains come and there's food to eat.

River crossings are something else, some at the Grumeti if sufficient water, likewise if the Mara River at No. Serengeti, though rare there's much water in the Sand River that gets crossed into the Mara. Once in the Mara, it's these crossings many wait for.

IMPORTANT - Those 1/hr Natl Geo TV programs we all enjoy - took the photogs probably 3/years of sitting, waiting, more sitting and waiting - till they had enough to give us 1/hr. Patience is the key.

But anytime of the year you can see wildies somewhere besides, of course, the resident herds that never migrate. Don't concentrate on the migration only, rather the entire safari experience... that's what will be worth what you pay for your holiday.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Best time to visit Masai Mara for great migration???

we are planning to visit in the last week of march to masai mara. Do you think we could see enough to feel like visited masai mara. (is it worth visit masai mara during last week of march 2014) our journey is return journey to India after 11 day tour of South Africa.

Reply to: Best time to visit Masai Mara for great migration???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics