We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are we too old for a safari?

Cramlington...
Level Contributor
117 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Are we too old for a safari?

Hi. Husband and I both turn 70 shortly and want a special holiday to celebrate (or commiserate depending on your viewpoint!) Can some of the experienced safari-goers on TA please advise whether they think a safari trip may be too strenuous for people of our age? We're thinking of doing 7 days safari and then 7 days beach holiday. Any opinions/suggestions/help will be most welcome. Thanks!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,870 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

Not to discount the younger travelers whether singles, friends, families (even with children), most safari goers are from 50+ (and up to 80/yrs as Richard mentions)... these folks have the time and the money to do so, almost regardless their budgets.

Considering the quality of the roads which is many places aren't the best and though it's doable, I like others would suggest you do a fly-in/out safari which costs aren't necessarily more expensive than if only a driving safari.

You'll see lots of silver hair. So, go for it!

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

I would also suggest 1 night in Nairobi, flying safari, 2 parks and a beach holiday after your safari. I am not in favour of breaking up a trip into beach - safari - beach simply because if you have only 5-7 days for your beach part, by the time you break it into two, you will find yourself packing/unpacking/settling more than relaxing.

As already suggested, I would also advise to start with Samburu or Laikipia (flight from Wilson Airport), continue to Masai Mara (flight from Laikipia/Samburu to Mara) and then flight from Mara to Ukunda/Diani and stay on the South Coast. Then depending on your return international flight, fly from Mombasa and connect straightaway to your flight. Unless your flight is in the morning, you can fly from Mombasa the same day, Kenya Airways has a good schedule with 10 or so flights per day and you will be able to get a good connection. Earlier internal flights are with Air Kenya, Safarilink and Mombasa Air Safari or a combination - have a look at their schedules online, they all have websites.

Don't go for more than 2 parks, it is good to base yourself in a camp/lodge and take game drives with nice rest between, rather than moving from place to place with your luggage. If you go for Samburu/Mara combination you will have covered pretty much majority of species. When you are at the coast you can also take a half day trip to Shimba Hills National Reserve (park fee is only USD 20 pp) - this is 40-50 min drive on a good tarmac road from just about anywhere on the South Coast. Go after lunch and you will be back by the time of your pre dinner drinks. The park is small with good roads, some amazing views from the view points - great for sundowners or afternoon tea - this is the only place where you can see Sable Antelope, a beautiful animal. Also elephants there are different from elsewhere in the country - they are forest elephants, smaller and grey in colour. Buffaloes, warthogs, giraffes are also there. We often go there for afternoon drive and tea with kids, a nice outing!

And no, you are not too old for safari! There are lots of people well into their 60 and 70 who travel, people in their 80 also travel quite a bit!

Good luck with planning and enjoy your trip to Kenya!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
447 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

Larissa is right Shimba Hills is a magical place. You could spend a night there in the tree lodge. All the rooms face on to the waterhole. The food is excellent and if you find it too hot at the coast this is the place to cool down. You will also see collobus monkeys if you are lucky.

Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

Certainly not.I grew up in Zimbabwe and since living in UK have been to Kenya Bots Zim SA and Tanzania. Avoid long road transfers. Phone Sable Mountain Lodge in Selous Reserve Tanzania

They will arrange a stay in their comfy tented camp with pool and also in their Saadani lodge near the coast and htels in Dar and Zanzibar.

All connectiond by internsl rraspnale flights Zanair or Precision air

You can also book these yourself. No worries at all.

Bots is also lovely dtay in Crocodile camp and take a group camping safari eg with Explore.

No need to pay megabucks..

15. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2013, 13:55
Jersey
Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

What a great attitude you have! Age is only a number and as far as I'm concerned age can catch me up from behind. You're right 'you're never too old' and I love the bit ' and I'm going if it kills me' Enjoy your trip. I'm off on safari later this month and I can't wait. This return visit has been a long time coming. Hopefully, Kilimanjaro won't be shy and with luck I might see some African wild dogs.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

You'll love going on safari. I thought that I had traveled so much that I had become jaded, and that it no longer interested in me. However, I went on my first safari and since then I've become addicted and traveling is again exciting to me. I'm sure that your first safari will be the most interesting, exciting, fun, and yes even at your age the most educational experience of your lives.

I send you my warmest personal regards.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

Of course not. My husband I both in our 70s took a 11 day safari in Tanzania. We stayed at both Lodge and tented camps. We preferred lodges as the comfort level was a bit more. We did it all by road, but flew back from Serengeti to departure airport. We also did hot air balloon ride. Our safari operator was wonderful and was very helpful with our needs. No matter what country you safari in, age should not be an issue. Most the time you are just sitting in a vehicle and not climbing mt. Kilimanjaro. I would say it will not be comfortable is you have back problems, as you do bounce around a bit.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
798 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

Enjoy your safari. I did my first one @ 60. Still going to Kenya but short safaris now

Just a thought (I`m now over 70 but counting backwards lol) You could always take one of those inflatable cushions with you, got from camping stores.. could be handy.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,870 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

If any back problems, and if on a private safari, you can always sit next to the driver... it's the most comfortable seat. Also consider one of those stretchy back supports., which when not in use fold flat.

Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics