We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are we too old for a safari?

Cramlington...
Level Contributor
116 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Are we too old for a safari?

Hi. Husband and I both turn 70 shortly and want a special holiday to celebrate (or commiserate depending on your viewpoint!) Can some of the experienced safari-goers on TA please advise whether they think a safari trip may be too strenuous for people of our age? We're thinking of doing 7 days safari and then 7 days beach holiday. Any opinions/suggestions/help will be most welcome. Thanks!

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
445 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

Hello, I have been on safari in Kenya many times and am now 70. Annoyingly I now have spinal arthritis which may be a bit of a problem on game drives but I hope not. The tracks are very rough and the drives which normally take around 2 hours twice a day can be rough on the old bones! Most lodges however are very relaxing with comfortable beds and many have lovely pools which are good for the aches. You can spend the mornings after breakfast and the afternoons before the evening game drive viewing the surroundings, swimming, reading or sleeping so you have plenty of time to recover. The food is excellent and most people have early nights so there is every chance of plenty of sleep. You will have a wonderful time. I am looking forward to my safari in four weeks time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

You're never too old for a safari. Though make sure you look for tours with a lower activity level. Climbing Mt. Kenya might be out of the question (maybe :) ) but there are other activities worth doing.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

One is never too old to go travel. With the right company and the right location you will enjoy yourself. Have heard there are many Safari destinations in Africa. I found a nice list on the top safari destinations in Africa - …quora.com/10-Best-Safaris-in-Africa. You could visit one of them and make your wish come true.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

I'm in the midst of planning a safari to celebrate my mom's 70th birthday, and even though we're excited I too am worried about it being rough on her. She has some arthritis in her spine, so I'm strongly considering the fly-between options. This would mean changing our game-drive guide at each location, though, right? How do you go about making sure you get a good guide at each location? I'll keep reading reviews about the various destinations and lodges/camps, and hopefully I can manage to choose places with good reputations for guides!

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
445 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

There are very few bad guides and the flying option is much better as the roads between reserves are extremely rough I am 70 and on my 10th safari but now suffering from spinal arthritis, I have flown between locations for the last few years The safari drives are still on rough ground but I have been advised not to sit with my back against the back of the seat, so we will see how it goes. Where are you going? what lodges etc, I have told my lodges about my problem and asked for accommodation close to the restaurant etc so as not to have to walk too far. If you want any more info sent me a pm

Flin Flon, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

I know this question leaves me open to ridicule but what does 'PM me' mean? Granny says to PM if want more details.

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
445 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

Private Message, if you click on a name e.g. newgranny you will see on the left hand side of the page "message" click on that and you can send me a message which will not be shown on the main page, its just like sending an email

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,542 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

Gerry,

PM means Personal Message, to send another member a direct personal message, click on their name, scroll down their profile and click on 'send message' on the left under the 'Today's Poll'

Edit - Oops! i'm sure Newgranny's post wasn't there when i wrote the post

Edited: 13 October 2013, 15:00
Flin Flon, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

What a godsend this thread is for me. Not only am i realizing how many people my age are wanting to go on safari, but that they are concerned about the same subjects as me. Learning i can PM people like you is just wonderful. Now i hope i can get specific about names - names of hotels and camps and safari operators and prices. Before i ask you to tell me stuff, just so i am not wasting your time, i will mostly be looking for moderately price everything. I will splurge for a night or two in Maasai Mara for a chance to watch a river crossing or a water hole. Would you be able to help me? I am focused on going July/August 2014 and i am thinking of spending two weeks in Kenya half of it probably in Maasai Mara.

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
445 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Are we too old for a safari?

Prices are something you will have to research yourself and you can do that by looking at brochures, either on line or from a travel shop, but some companies charge over the top prices so beware. My favourite area apart from the Mara is Samburu. The landscapes there are totally different from the Mara so it would be a good choice for a second destination, as would Laikipia/Ol Pajeta where you will see wild dogs if you are lucky along with everything else and some great bird sightings.

This year I am going to Elephant Bedroom Camp in Samburu and Kicheche camp in the Mara, both are advertised on line but of course I don't know what your budget is. I also love the Ashnil Samburu camp and the Ashnil Mara, and will be staying at them also in November. Some folks do not favour the Ashnil Mara for conservation reasons but I have been greatly impressed by their level of service and accommodation.

All of the lodges/camps offer game drives which usually comes with the package and most guides are experienced and well trained. I also use Somak Holidays which some think are expensive but I have been with them now for 10 years and I find their service first class. Before anyone shouts at me this is my opinion! You will have an interesting time looking at these places and others on line and then you should be able to choose what suits you. I look forward to hearing your choices. Best wishes for a wonderful safari.