We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masai Mara or Serengeti

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Masai Mara or Serengeti

Hi

I am planning a trip for around 7 days in Early October. Can you tell me which is a better place to visit then? Also, in terms of game viewing which amongst the two is a better bet (irrespective of the time of visit)?

Thanks

Anwesha

Realmonte, Italy
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Masai Mara or Serengeti

Am assuming this is next year trip, and October is great time to visit Maasai Mara, its time when wildebeest are almost moving back to Serengeti,

Your 7days safari will also give you a light of time to visit Ambeseli, Samburu. these are places to visit in 7days in Kenya

In Tanzania is also great time to visit Serengeti, Ngorongoro and Lake Manyara

Good Luck

NAIROBI
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Masai Mara or Serengeti

Hi Anwesha,

Maasai Mara anytime!!! October is ideal for your trip. However you will need to combine your mara trip with another destination search as the Nakuru, Naivasha and Amboseli.

All the best.

Antony

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Masai Mara or Serengeti

October Migration will be moving back to Serengeti from Masai Mara.

Serengeti is the best for game-drive and I would recommend to have at least 3 night for you to have better opportunity to explore it. The remain days you can spend them to Ngorongoro Conservation Area and Tarangire National park, they offer great game-drive during that time of the year

nyc
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Masai Mara or Serengeti

For Oct, I'd go for the Serengeti but best to be at the very north - the Kogatende area. However, there are few camps up here and those that are tend to be very expensive.

Personally, if not for the migration, i'd always choose the Mara. And though not as large as the Serengeti, if visiting the latter, the herds are in different areas depending on month when visiting; also prices tend to be higher than if in Kenya.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Masai Mara or Serengeti

I just did a safari in Tanzania (Serengeti, Lake Manyara, Tarangire, Ngorongoro) and I a safari in Kenya (Maasai Mara, Lake Nakuru, Amboseli, Tsavo). Hands down the Tanzanian safari was better. The quality of the game viewing was better. It was a cleaner environment.

If I was going back for a week, I'd not hesitate in going to Tanzania.

Nairobi, Kenya
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Masai Mara or Serengeti

Hi Anwesha

The Month of October is a peak season in Masai Mara and there is plenty of game both in the Reserve and Conservancies like the Olare Orok and Naibosho. The migration of the wildebeests will also be on the Kenyan side and hence you can see the crossing and the big cats hunting the wildebeests and zebras.For a 7 Day Safari I would recommend you do 3 days in Mara, 2 Days in Amboseli and 2 Days in Lake Nakuru. Also try to add to your itinerary internal flights to Mara or Amboseli so that you can save on the travelling time and enjoy more time game viewing.

7. Re: Masai Mara or Serengeti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 12:46
South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,138 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Masai Mara or Serengeti

Warning! A travel company, new to TA, posting on this forum has messaged me asking me to recommend their services, despite me never having spoken to them yet alone used their services. They said in the message that they were aware promotion was not allowed but humbly requested I recommend them on TA and other platforms.

To the company - private messages are not to be used for the purpose of selling or advertising your business and certainly not for asking members to give you false recommendations.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
133 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Masai Mara or Serengeti

TemboFan you should say which Company stop being general.Personal promotion and soliciting is not allowed so its better to let us know which this is waiting for the flood gates to open.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,138 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Masai Mara or Serengeti

My warning regarding the PM is directly under the offender in each of their posts.