We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place in/around Maasai Mara for late May

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best place in/around Maasai Mara for late May

Hi All,

We plan to venture to the Maasai Mara in the last week of May next year (2015). We have been thrilled by all the great advice that you folks have posted -- but also a little overwhelmed by all the choices with so many positive recommendations. Anyway, a couple of questions:

1) We have read about the conservancies being great because they are less crowded but, at the time we plan to go (end of May), it also sounds like even the main Park is not so crowded. If that true and, if so, will we see more wildlife in the main park?

2) Location-wise, where (part of the Park or specific conservancy) would be the best place to maximize probably of seeing some of the Loita Hills "mini-migration" at that time of year? We have read variously that the Loita Hills migration may end in April or it may start in May, so we would really appreciate any clarifying info you can provide.

Thanks!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place in/around Maasai Mara for late May

Things to know about safari - 1) no two days are the same; 2) herds move with the rains and new grassland; 3) don't plan your holiday based on the migration only, whether from the Serengeti or those in the Loita Hills.

Usually the herds are expected to arrive in the Mara by mid-July yet this year '14 they started to appear late-May/June; some years back (2/yrs in a row in fact) I experienced their arrival early; yet last year '13 people were complaining the herds were late arriving mid-July... duh! Can't satisfy everyone.

Whether Apr or May, certainly less vehicles, visitors and great low season rates, but no guarantee when it comes to the migrating herds. Other game is there as they don't go on vacation... and can be found in either the Reserve or on the Conservancies, depends on what Mother Africa. Best to have no preconceived expectations and take each day as it comes... always great to experience surprises.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place in/around Maasai Mara for late May

In the conservancies at least, your choices will be narrowed down quite a bit as a lot of the tented camps are closed in April and May.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place in/around Maasai Mara for late May

Hello 4 Sandi,

In Masai Mara all year round is a place you'll never miss the BIG FIVE! this is a real wildlife park. Depending with the rain patterns you can always expect to see movement of animals as per the rain patterns. May can be a very good choice especially for people who prefer less crowded and noisy places as this time visitors are few.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place in/around Maasai Mara for late May

Rhino can't be assured in the Mara and I've been often in May when I've never seen a lion. However, did find leopard and cheetah. And one year, we saw only one lone wildebeest that seemed so sad as it had no one with whom to play. Why I say no assurances. But there's always game to be found, if not specific species.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place in/around Maasai Mara for late May

I've been to the Mara seven times and never seen a rhino - I don't count myself as being particularly unlucky they are just not that common. But there is always plenty of game to see, as Sandi says you just don't quite know what it will be. Enjoy!

Summerville, South...
Level Contributor
21 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place in/around Maasai Mara for late May

I was there in mid May this year and stayed at the Royal Mara in the North Conservancy. The Loita Hillps migration was in progress. Tons of animals. You can read my trip report. http://www.donrucker.com/trip-reports

7. Re: Best place in/around Maasai Mara for late May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics