We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 nights Kenya Safari in August/Sept, please help

Which Masai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
46 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
8 nights Kenya Safari in August/Sept, please help

We are planning following safari at the end of August this year:

Day 1: Drive from Nairobi, cruise on lake Naivasha, overnight at Lake Naivasha Simba Lodge

Day 2: Game drive Lake Nakuru NP, over night at Flaminhgo Hill Camp

Day 3: Drive to Masai Mara

Day 3, 4, 5: Over night at Keekorok Lodge, game drive with our own hired 4 x 4 with driver/guide

Day: 6: road transfer to Governor's main Camp by our own hired 4 x 4 with driver/guide

Day 6, 7,8: Over night at Governor's main Camp using their game drive

Day night: fly back to Nairobi

Question: we would like to have more relaxed and in depth experience, is this a good plan? We choose larger Camp and Lodges for security concerns.

Please help!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 nights Kenya Safari in August/Sept, please help

Hey - on a great itinerary. Perhaps you might want to consider other accommodation options in Naivasha & Nakuru. Conside rSopa Naivasha or Lake Naivasha Country Club. Sarova Lion Hill Camp in Nakuru is fab.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
46 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 nights Kenya Safari in August/Sept, please help

Thanks!

We will check those lodges you suggested. However, it will be a peak season. So there is availability issue. Then, the really high price, those prices you only pay when you stay at four seasons else where; they are off the list for many of us!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 nights Kenya Safari in August/Sept, please help

Looks great.

Flamingo Camp is close to the edge of the park, and you hear a lot of noise from the villages near by including loud music at night from disco's and bars, as well as vehicles hooting early in the morning. You might want to reconsider this.

Keekrok and Governors are chalk and cheese. I would rate Keekrok as a strong 2-3 star lodge, while Governors 4-5 stars. Why not look at other camps/lodges around where Keekrok is, which are better quality.

RWA

Kendal, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 nights Kenya Safari in August/Sept, please help

Hi there

I take many groups around Kenya and you will enjoy that itinerary but there is one big mistake in it. Don't worry very easy to fix!

When you arrive in Kenya go to Nakuru first then drive back for your day in Naivasha. (Get your Kenya map out and you will see Nakuru is about an hour and a half north of Niavasha).

Other wise when you drive to the Mara the journey is going to me much longer and it will possibly knock you out for the following day or so. It won't be the relaxing trip you want it to be. Safariing can be tough especially if you are choosing to do some driving yourself. DO NOT DRIVE ON YOUR OWN AFTER DARK AT ALL DURING YOUR TRIP.

Also try do the boat ride in the morning, the weather is usually better, the wind can get up and sometimes you get rain in the afternoon. Take water, hat and sun cream!!

A safari is the best trip you will ever do it is amazing!!

Have fun

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
46 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 nights Kenya Safari in August/Sept, please help

Thanks RWA for the tip about Flamingo Camp. Yes, clean and quiet are must for a lodge.

You said: why not look at other camps/lodges around where Keekrok is, which are better quality. Do you mind to name them? I hope that small ones. We have read some attacks on tourists over the years, so we would like to have rather large lodge. Hopefully that also mean a little more secure. I understand some 40 people in one location were attacked nevertheless. But we hope here more is more although in life we think most time less is more!

Thanks Sohrab! We are not aware of one is takes much longer than the other. How much longer in term of time and how much in term of distance? Thanks for pointing it out!

Kendal, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 nights Kenya Safari in August/Sept, please help

I haven't got the distances to hand sorry but roughly speaking Niavasha is a little over an hour from Nairobi and Nakuru is about an hour and a half from Naivasha. So add that two and a half hours onto the extra 5 to 6 hours it will take you from Niavasha to get to the Mara and it is a long drive especially when you get closer to the Mara and the roads deteriorate.

Nakuru is definitely worth the trip, it is the only place (other than Giraffe Manor) that you can see the Rothschild Giraffe and you have a great chance of seeing Rhino there as they have black and White Rhino. It also gives you another chance at seeing Leopards which is tough.

trust me!! Go to Nakuru first.

Also if you are doing some on your own by a copy of the national Audubon society filed guide to African wildlife. Link to amazon below. Its a great book and will make a great memento for you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/African-Wildlife-National-Audubon-Society/dp/0679432345/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405095492&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=audubon+society+field+guide+to+african+wild+life

Hope that helps.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
46 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 nights Kenya Safari in August/Sept, please help

Thanks! I will ask our TO to change the hotel order.

8. Re: 8 nights Kenya Safari in August/Sept, please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics