We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheese

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cheese

This is strange one , the place where I am booking is asking me to bring some cheese from the UK , is this allowed ? and is it better to put in hand luggage or my main suitcase ?

68 replies to this topic
Bungoma, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheese

I don't know about the rest of Kenya, but there are two cheese factories in Eldoret!!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheese

she wants english cheddar cheese but I,m sure you cant bring in dairy products into Kenya , I may be wrong but I,m not going to risk it if breaks the rules , I know too well what Kenyan customs are like !

Bungoma, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheese

i am quite happy with the Kenya Cheddar Cheese from the Cheese Factory in Eldoret!! Maybe she can try some of that....!!!!

UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheese

You can't take dairy products (except for chocolate!) legally

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheese

thats what I thought , so it wont be happening

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,512 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheese

There are no foodstuffs on either the restricted or prohibited goods lists. Though if you are given a Passenger Declaration form there is an entry for you to tick if you are carrying food items, which means that you may be asked about them if you have been given the form and have ticked the item. I've only ever been given the form twice, and was only asked for it once.

I've only been stopped by customs twice at Nairobi, once when I had my golf clubs (that's all they were interested in and lost interest when it became obvious they weren't new and that was when they asked for the form but just threw it in a box, didn't even look at it) and once when I had a large holdall, a very large holdall, a messenger type laptop bag and a wheeled laptop bag, they asked what was in the holdalls, but didn't ask me to open them.

I don't think you'd have any problems with the cheese, I'd put it in the checked in luggage. Odds are you won't be stopped anyway, even if you are, and you either declare it or they find the cheese,the worst that is likely to happen is they might ask you for duty or real worst case confiscate it.

Mind you customs at Mombasa are a different kettle of fish.

I can understand someone asking you to bring cheese for them, it is something I miss and tend to binge on when I'm back in the UK, I'm just surprised they've asked for Cheddar because you can get Cheddar cheese here, it's generally a bit insipid and expensive compared to the UK, but there is a local version of the Seriously Strong Cheddar that is OK, it's two three times the price of the UK but at least you can get it. (Someone has brought me nice, strong Stilton in the past.)

Edited: 28 February 2017, 13:56
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheese

Nakumatt / Carrefour sells a variety of imported cheese from all over the world.

But Carrefour have outlets only in NBO.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheese

Thanks for that Doff , think I will risk it as well as bringing a bottle of HP brown sauce as well , I cant have breakfast without that !

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,512 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheese

I'm a Daddies sauce man by preference, that is what I used to bring with me, plus Bisto and after a friend asked me to bring some for them, Branston on my last couple of trips.

Nakumatt and Naivas occasionally have HP but small bottles and expensive. We usually stock up if it comes in because it usually sells out quickly. They last had some a few weeks ago, so I'm still stocked up

Edited: 28 February 2017, 14:35
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheese

Daddies sauce , I like that as well ! I once did find HP sauce in a small shop in Watamu and as you say its expensive ! I,ll bring a large bottle out with me just in case :)

Reply to: Cheese
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted