We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying with monach

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
flying with monach

we were wondering if anyone has any info about monach flights from gatwick. Booked with thomas cook. we did see a bad review weeks ago no TV'S working No blankets ect

Wondered if anyone has more up to date experience.

Travelling 16th April So any tips would be appreciated.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: flying with monach

hi,

ask smudger he can give u more info

agy

Swindon England
Level Contributor
297 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying with monach

Hi

We are boked with Thomas Cook fly Monarch 19 March from Gatwick due back 3 April. Last year went Thomson / Britania and that was very poor.

Please contact Dariusdave direct we may be able to help each other away from public view. Our flight is a night flight.

We had a great holiday in Kenya last year hence return this year. Our reviews are in Trip Advisor for hotel and safari. end of the day holiday counts more than flight. We have had many good & bad to Cuba /Dominican with Thomas Cook but Monarcg have usually been better similar flight time .

Dariusdave

somerset, england
Level Contributor
267 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying with monach

Hi

We flew with Monarch from Gatwick to Mombasa in Jan 07. I'm sorry to say that the flight was dreadful and basically, I would agree with all the bad reviews. Think flying Easyjet...longhaul. You had to pay for bottles of water, pay for headphones (which was pointless as unless you were sat in about 3 centre seat, you couldn't see the 1980's TV screens anyway). To be fair, the actual legroom was OK but the seat width was tiny, it was very cramped.

Just think that the first and last 9 hours of your hol are a very small part of it - so I am sure you will still have a great time.

PS - Don't bother upgrading to Monarch "plus" - the cabin crew have no idea who is sat where and you have a constant battle to get your so-called extras. I would also advise booking seating together which is annoying as its extra £, but the chaos at the airport coming home definitely resulted in families etc being separated for the flight. We would have been sat in opposite ends of the plane, had we not coughed up the extra £ for prebookable seating.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying with monach

Totally agree with every comment above, there is no way we are flying monach ever again, a 9hr plus flight on one of their planes is not my idea of good fun, last year they were not even cheap, we payed £670 just for the flight, flying emirates this year for less !!

Bracknell
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: flying with monach

hello, i flew with monarch about 2 years ago and it was a 12 hour flight, there was not alot of leg room but it was ok. I am flying with them again this year so cant be to bad :) Just get to check in early so u can get either exit seats or asle seats. What did you hear that was bad?

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying with monach

we had an 8 hour delay stuck at Gatwick going out, even though with our upgrade we weren't allowed airside because of the delay as a "hold" had been put on the flight so only got an hour in the lounge. We paid £200 each for the upgrade even for the kids aged 7 and 9....it was so worth the money. Choice of about 15 films you could play, pause rewind etc when you wanted, in economy they had the old screens that were positioned in the ceiling, no way kids could have viewed it. I beleive also that a bad flight can actually ruin the trip, upgrade if you can.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying with monach

Hmm 12 hr delay going home, only 2 working toilets remained at the end of our outgoing flight, food was not good, drinks very expensive unless you upgrade, which we did, we were supposed to get priorty boarding, never happened, we were supposed to have our cases first off the plane, again this never happened, maybe I,m just unlucky

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying with monach

thanks for the info ,will stock up well in the airport, take a travel pill and my own pillow and hope for the best.

Aberystwyth, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: flying with monach

never flown with them but they sound just like mytravel who we booked though thomas cook when we went to brazil in december going with first choice when we go to Mombassa upgraded this time after going with mytravel but first choice is good in economy.

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flying with monach

We had heard bad reports about Monarch economy so decided to upgrade to Premium Cabin - legroom nothing special, food OK, seat back screens, BUT they charge for snacks - can you believe that? after paying over £300 for 2 of us to upgrade they CHARGE FOR SNACKS!!! I was appalled and made my feelings known to the stewardess. I've heard First Choice are much better. X

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations