We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hull, England
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Warning

Foreign Office is warning that a terrorist threat exists for World Cross Country Championships in Mombasa on 24/3.

We are being advised to move from Nyali Beach hotel where competitors/officials are staying as they are possible targets

Rog

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning

blimey.......so your tour operator are going to move you to another hotel??.....is it just that hotel or the whole coast....ie. airport etc etc....yikes

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning

I think this is very worrying for all the tourist in Nyali Beach.. the Voyager .. Mombasa and Reef are all within touching distance and I do know that some of the competitors/officials are staying in The Voyager...

without becoming too controversial there was a rally by the Muslims when we were there in February and they did threaten to try and disrupt the Marathon and cross country championships but No word of any threatening behavior was even mentioned,,

Surely if this is a foreign office warning you can get your money back or ask to go another time or location.?

Marvellous really... Just as the tourism was getting back on its feet and the Kenyans were beginning to earn some money for their families.....

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning

Think this article might have something to do with all the fuss

nationmedia.com/dailynation/…

The americans have been building up forces in the region, partly due to whats been happening in Somalia, they have also been involved with eithipian troops as "advisors" during recent bombing incidents in somalia, I believe they had some frigates in mombasa port only about a month ago, don't know if they are still there.

Rogwat48, I live in hull as well. (WEST)

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
654 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning

When we were there a few weeks ago, our safari guide handed me a kenyan newspaper whilst filling up with fuel and it said in there that a muslim group was planning to bring Mombasa to a standstill whilst the athletics were going on if certain terrorist prisoners were not released.

It is very annoying to think that they will only make the kenyan people suffer through this who will reap the benefits of a strong SAFE tourism industry

Truro, Cornwall
Level Contributor
280 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning

Hi there, We are going to the Voyager beach on the 30 th of March, Does anybody know if this will still be going on then. Or should we look for somewhere else to stay, or just worrying over nothing.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning

mat07, I would not worry to much about this . i think in this politically correct state if there is a sniff of any problems the government have to give out a warning to cover themselves..

Only a mild rally to cause a disruption was all we feard about

and that was two weeks ago...

If you are concerned about the location please do send me an email ednaelliott@btinternet.com

I certainly would not alter my holiday plans...

Brisbane
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning

After reading this thread I checked some Kenyan newspaper websites to see if it had become a major news item there, and read that the Kenyan Govt were pretty annoyed at this warning originally issued by the U.S foreign office that there might be terrorist activities planned. I can't blame them either. They said they would have adequate security measures in place for the Cross Country event, and considered the US alert to be over reacting and destructive to their important tourist trade. I hope they're right as I'll be staying not too far away in mid April.

Aberystwyth, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning

when i first read about it i was very tempted to change my holiday but i'm not going till December anyway.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
654 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning

My only advise would be having not long since returned from kenya with our 2 young children, I would still go again if I had the chance in the next few weeks. I reckon you are probably more at risk on a 2 weeks holiday to Turkey. The hotels we saw all had good security in place with guards and several barriers before you get any where near the hotel reception areas, and also from what I read whilst there the protests were designed to disrupt the athletics in a none violent way, ie causing disruption in mombasa itself

Deano

10. Re: Warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 13:17