We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tumaini home of hope

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Tumaini home of hope

Hi all, after my last visit to mombasa i visited the Tumaini Home of Hope,and was extremely touched by what they do for these kids.

After speaking to a few people i found out that they are in need of a little cash to help with medical supplies and other things.

I have got together a few friends and their kids to do a sponsered Triathlon(swim for the kids) to raise money for the home.

Just thought i'd let you all know that i didnt just go to mombasa,enjoy my holiday,then return home forgetting all them lovely needy children!!

I will be doing the triathlon in sept so i will let you all know how much i raised.

Sophie

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tumaini home of hope

Fantastic! i applaud people like you who carry on their good intentions after they come back. Its great people visit the schools and orphanages whilst in Kenya but I sometimes wonder if its just to "tick a box"? Sorry don't mean to sound mercenary! The support is needed after we return to our comfy lifestyles. Lets hope we don't forget. Good on you!

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tumaini home of hope

I See in the news letter that Joan has been overwhelmed with donations from the Jeremy Kyle show and soon will have a lovely amount to carry out all her good work.... the school should be up and running very soon and this is going to make a huge difference to the children in Bamburi

If you dont want to visit the home personally she has a very honest taxi drivers in the Bamburi who will pass on your donation....

It might sound rude to ask not to give toys etc but Joans work plus the medical bills cost a fortune...

Dont forget the other small hard working homes in and around your hotel..whether in Diani...Nyali....Bamburi...Shanzu or Kikambala

some child somewhere needs food and medication

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tumaini home of hope

oooh! i know what your saying Drakesdrum,on my next visit hopefully next year,i will be visiting another home so maybe i can keep donating to all the needy kids each time i go to mombasa.

And yes,i agree,we all have this comfy lifestyle,and we are very materialistic.Makes me see just how lucky we are,(and how spoilt our kids are)!!!!

Sophie

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kikambala
Level Contributor
525 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tumaini home of hope

Great to hear of the help you were able to give. There are a number of homes/schools called Tumaini for obvious reasons. Without people like you there is little hope for some of them.

There are schools in Ukunde and Maweni, Kikambala both called Tumaini. The school at Kikambala has about 300 children many are aids orphans. At some places it is better to buy something than give money as money management is not always very good.

We have a charity working mainly in Kikambala working mainly in the villages rather than schools. The need is enormous.

Returning in December, can't wait.

Hazel

wortihng
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Tumaini home of hope

Hi Im going to the home this summer to do voluntry work their for 4 weeks with 5 of my friends and am really looking forward to it was jsut wondering if anyone knew how many children were roughly in the orphange as we are planning on taking over quate a lot of equipment for the home, and the website is currently down.

Thanks Sam

wales uk
Level Contributor
491 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tumaini home of hope

Hi There

Just a quick update

There are 21 children at present at the Tumaini Childrens Home and this can increase at any time.

The foundations are bieng put down at present and funds allowing work on the school opposite will commence soon.

Any monies are very gratefully received, as the orphanage increases as do the day to day running costs.

I thank you all for the help you give to this and indeed all the orphanages in Mombassa and please please try to keep up the good work.

I also have some flyers giving details of the Tumaini Childrens Home and if anyone would like one please pm me with your postal adress and I will send you one.

All the best

Jason

devon
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tumaini home of hope

Hi all

just got back from staying at the voyager - visited Tumaini with my two boys with a rucksack full of things for the children, pencils note pads cards etc, wish i had more.

What struck me when there is that they would really appreciate the basics - food, clothing, cleaning supplies, washing powder for their new washing machine etc.

I confess to thinking more about what the children might like rather than what the home might really need.

Joyce showed us around the school and the children were just going into their class so they sang us a song and each child told us his or her name and said either 'Hello' or 'Jambo', we loved meeting them all.

Not sure of the best way to continue helping now back at home any ideas would be appreciated

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tumaini home of hope

When we were there, Joyce gave us an information packet with a UK contact and of course I can't find it right now.As soon as I do, I will post it. We would like to continue supporting them as well.

England
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tumaini home of hope

I would be warey of giving cash to anyone in Kenya for Aid of any kind as, with the level of poverty there very high and your cash would look very much like a personal gift from heaven to even the most honest.

Tourist regularly go out to Kenya and get taken to a home or school by someone purports to be associated with the work but is in fact a tourist guide, they then receives a cash sum for the people seen, who receive very little of it.

There are also many "orphanages" that in fact run as charities when in fact they are not. or the orphanage / school my be deliberately kept looking bad, as no one wants to donate to something that looks got money in the first place.

So do your homework and take nothing for granted. The poor could do with some help.

This said.. Kenya is a strikingly beautiful place, the people are so friendly. Try to get beyond the point were they see you as a rich european cash despensor.

wales uk
Level Contributor
491 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tumaini home of hope

Hi There,

Although the post from Englanddave may seem at first to be a little drastic I find that I agree with him and people should be aware that there are indeed some places in Kenya that are a pure scam.

I think that the advice for all prospective visitors must be to search for information an prospective homes but beware that these forums are accessable to these people and of course they can write their own glowing reports.

Also please don,t be put off by the homes that seem to be established and well run as it is indeed these that need funding to keep them running and it is a fact that as a home expands and takes on more children then their day to day expenses become more as do their needs.

I myself support the Tumaini Childrens home and sadly I have only visited one other home there and that was the Lioness Childrens Home which impressed me greatly.

There are many more genuine homes and please please take advice from other members but try to double check before you decide.

Every penny given will be appreciated and please keep up the good work and help whenever you can no matter how little it all helps.

All the best

Jason

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations