We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts for Hotel Staff & Mosquitos

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
HEREFORD
3 posts
Save Topic
Gifts for Hotel Staff & Mosquitos

We are travelling there on August 20th 2007 and we were wondering what gifts we could take for the staff at the hotel and also what is the mosquito situation are there lots and do we need plenty of repellent.

Many Thanks

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts for Hotel Staff & Mosquitos

Gifts for Hotel Staff & Mosquitos ...mmmmh im not sure what i would buy mosquitos!!!

Any kind of gifts for hotel staff etc or anyone you may meet or know Kenya wouldbe appreciated. Kenyans by large arehappy go lucky people so my advice would be just give whatever you want, try be a little different maybe.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts for Hotel Staff & Mosquitos

sorry almost forgot the mozzies,

Where you staying?

if you have air con and cool your room down i find that keeps them out and you can sleep easily even without a net.

in the evening just rub some repellant on the uncovered bits, i do and dont really suffer more than 1 bite a week usually. use plenty repellant between the knees and ankles if uncovered as they go for these bits!

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts for Hotel Staff & Mosquitos

Socks....razor blades....and little samples of aftershave.. for the men

lipstick....plummy colours...nail varnish...and sample perfumes for the ladies.... ALL the staff like sweets..... lollies etc ... cheaper to buy them in Nakumatt... just over a £1 for 50 sweets and about £1.50 for 50 scrummy fruit lolly`s.....

leave a couple of pencils and a few sweets on the dres sing table ( with note) for the houseboy/girl to have////

as for those mozzies.... as stated before they cant stand the cold....

but you could have a quick short burst of mozzy spray around the bottom of your windows just before you go to dinner... failing that bash the little bu...gggers over the bonce with a mallet....

If you get bit ?? here a quick little tip.. and it works !!!!

after the first "itch" put a dot of Toothpaste on the bite....and leave it,

after a day the itching goes away..........

If you get badly bitten... stay indoors because the staff will think our a new breed of lesser spotted wildlife !!!!!!!!

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts for Hotel Staff & Mosquitos

Safaricom top up cards are appreciated - can be bought at Nakumatt or for those lucky enough to be staying at Voyager in the hotel book shop.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts for Hotel Staff & Mosquitos

Any kind of t-shirts/vests you have knocking about nike,adidas.....etc especially footie ones most of the staff are young lads and love european football.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts for Hotel Staff & Mosquitos

Most people in Kenya have to buy their clothes second hand as things are so expensive for them. Wages are about 300ks a day. Bra's and underpants and ladies knickers are very expensive and these can't be got second hand as against the law.... I took a large selection of Tesco value bra's ( pack of 2 for £3 ) and value undies. They were delighted. Just a suggestion but they will delight in anything as it can always be traded. We have just come back and as we are going back soon I got my malaria tablets from the chemist in Mombasa.. For medical reasons we have to use Doxycycline and I paid £16.80 for 300. Wow what a saving. We have been about 25 times and still love the country and people, can't wait for the next visit.

Ponty
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts for Hotel Staff & Mosquitos

Malaria is a killer on East coast so cover up and try not to be bitten, make sure you take your tabs for a month when you get back too. If you do get a cold/fever on return insist on doctor testing you as most GP's here are useless.

Take Vit B before going for a month, get Avon bath stuff, rub on lemon juice, drink g&t's - all might help. Best thing is to sit out with a sea breeze - mossies hate wind.

Pressies - best we found were pens for kids, and I always take old t-shirts which I swap for curios.

Enjoy it though - Keeeenya is magic :)

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Gifts for Hotel Staff & Mosquitos

The guy that cleaned our room told us if we left anything in the room for him, we must leave a note stating it was for him to keep. We left our extra shampoo and other toiletries, perfume, fingernail polish, clothes, some shoes, and we also gave him a good cash tip - he worked incredibly hard and was so easy and open to talk to.

There were several employees that we really got on well with so we gave them some shillings as we departed. One employee we talked to everyday is planning to go to College/Uni so we gave him some cash for his college fund.

We also bought inexpensive watches and TEVA-type sandals for the trip, which we bartered with the beach boys for souvenirs.

As far as mosquito's, we brought insect repellant with DEET and used it at dusk. We also brought one of the things you plug into the wall that is supposed to kill them. We didn't have any problems with them at all in Mombasa but did get a few bites in the Masai Mara. We also left the mosquito repellant for the employees.

Ponty
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gifts for Hotel Staff & Mosquitos

DEET is poisonous to humans and the buzzers don't work at all.

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gifts for Hotel Staff & Mosquitos

As the others say keep the ac on in your room, it keeps the mossies away, and plenty of insect repellent the higher the deet content the better, however if you don't want DEET, some people swear by Citronella, Lavender oil or Avon Soft and Gentle (pink bottle I think). We have always used 50%+ of Deet, with no ill effect but not advisable for kids. Also my partner who is a mossie magnet(that's why we take them) swears by a "CLICKER" which is a small tube which you put on the bite and click 5 times. It doesn't stop them biting but It seems to stop the itching and swelling and they can react badly to bites. Boots Tesco and duty free sell them.

I have been to Kenya in Aug,Sept and Feb and there is always mossies, its the tropics

Sg