We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is my flight Charter or Scheduled?

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is my flight Charter or Scheduled?

I asked this question last week but the thread went off topic and I did not get a convincing reply.

I booked direct with ThomsonFly last September to fly Manchester to Mombasa direct on the FCA138 8pm on 30th July 2008

Not a package, no accomodation included just booked direct over the internet.

Although I booked with ThomsonFly the confirmation email reads ...Your contract is with TUI UK Limited, ATOL No. 2524...

The wording also contains:

There are no refunds or credits for missed flights or for cancellations.

and

Changes to date or time of travel will incur a charge of GBP15/EUR25 per passenger per flight sector plus the cost of the current flight price, less a proportion of the original fare paid, based on the number of days prior to departure that the change is made. (0% of original booking value up to 7 days, 10% if 8-21 days, 30% if 22 - 49 days, 50% if 50 days+)

all of which does not sound encouraging should I need to change my dates or cancel. What happens if they cancel? and am I likely to be told I cannot fly if the advisory is in force at the time or will I be allowed to fly anyway? In other words would this booking be classed as a Charter or a Scheduled flight?

I know there is lots and lots of time for the situation to change for me out in Kenya and here's hoping it does soon. Hoever, I would like to know where I would stand.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is my flight Charter or Scheduled?

First Choice Airways charter flight.

Manchester
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is my flight Charter or Scheduled?

Ha

I have had this flight booked for 4 months and I have only just realised who must run flight F C A 138

There is the connection to Thomson that someone was looking for on another thread.

No wonder the cancellation policy being used by both is similar.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is my flight Charter or Scheduled?

I cannot comment on the flight itself, but I consider it extremely unlikely that the situation will be tense in July. Kenya's economy is quite large and there are so many interests there. Neither the president nor the opposition can afford to lose so much credibility for such a long time. The only reason I can see problems in July is that new elections are held around that time, and that you will know within weeks. Just follow the news or this forum. I would be very relaxed for July. But not if I was going next week (like I am).

Cornwall
Level Contributor
206 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is my flight Charter or Scheduled?

Hi Have also done the journey this way with no accomodation and yes they do class it as a charter flight.

Manchester
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is my flight Charter or Scheduled?

Yes that is my main concern. Things will quieten down and fresh elections called for in 3 months or so. If this happens then it may all kick off again in the summer.

The best result for myself and commercially for the Kenyans (although there is a lot more at stake for them than the tourist industry) would be for a coallition agreement. I was reading today this is not beyond a possibility with the oposition party having such a strong influence in parliament.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is my flight Charter or Scheduled?

As already said, yes it is a charter flight. We have got an almost identical situation with Thomoson. We booked flight only through them.

I rang them last night to clarify as we are due to fly out on 2nd Feb. IF the fco do not change the travel advice then they will refund me in full, if I want to cancel, I lose every single penny. They will let me know 72 hours before if we are still going with them or not.

I'm sure you will be fine when you go, hope that clarifys the flight for you too

Nikola

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is my flight Charter or Scheduled?

You booked a tour Operator throuigh aTour Operator operating A Tour Operators Airline therefore it is A Charter Flight

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is my flight Charter or Scheduled?

I understand Thomson and First Choice are now part of the same company as is Eclipse Travel,

Danielle

Manchester
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is my flight Charter or Scheduled?

Not sure if they are the same company but one obviously uses the other for the flights.

Nikola 44 this is very worrying because you like me will have booked the accommodation seperately and will not get a refund unless the hotelier is sympathetic, esp at such short notice. It may be best to contact them now and sort out a contingency plan, maybe some flexibility on changing your dates.

My worry is whether or not to pay the balances when they become due. I am dealing with three camps and two hotels and I still have to arrange my internal transfer flights so co-ordinating date changes would be a nightmare. If I dont pay the balances I may lose my bookings and deposits and if I do pay then I may lose 4 times as much money.

According to the interview on BBC last night with the Op Leader he is hoping for a coalition with fresh elections in 3 or 6 months. 6 months would be just a week or two before we depart and so we may be back in exactly the same position as you are today.

What a nightmare.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is my flight Charter or Scheduled?

We are lucky that we only have to worry about our flights, our accommodation is our timeshare, so not costs to pay, if we arrive a day earlier or later we can just rent an apartment for the extra day or two. we are going to book a safari when we get there, depending on how things are. Think that we will book with the resort though as, god forbid, if there are any problems then they are at the end of the phone and will do everything within their power to sort it out. Thats the plan anyway!!