We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Look before you BOOK

Kent
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Look before you BOOK

With the situation improving (hopefully) by the week in Kenya, it has never been a better time to go there on Holiday! A lot of the Hotels will take your Booking direct and there are plenty of choices for flights. This has a number of benefits! Firstly, when booking direct with the Hotels, you dont actually pay for your accomodation until you leave. This means that Travel Companies do not have your money for TWO MONTHS before you get there. Secondly, booking your own flights means you can travel when its best for you

devizes
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Look before you BOOK

Greetings Scud

Totally agree after being let down by First Choice last minute in January we arranged a flight with Kenya Airways and contacted the hotels direct. Had a holiday of a lifetime and were so well looked after. We ended up making so many friends in Watamu and then at Nyali at Voyager. Both wonderful places to relax and also to explore its also good that you can get involved in the local community projects at both locations.

We are planning to go back in October to stay in Watamu and then visit Voyager again. Not sure if we will go direct or might try Escape2Kenya as they have some great deals http://www.escape2kenya.co.uk/

Looking forward seeing the Happy House project in Watamu again. Sue Hayward is doing amazing work for the children in Watamu and I hear is a finalist for Clarins most dynamisante woman of the year 2008

Good luck Sue!!

Can't wait till October *smile*

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Look before you BOOK

The only thing is that if you book independently you can end up paying more than booking a package.

The reason for this is because the tour companies dont pay the hotels much for accomodation. So you will find most of the time a package is the best deal.

Shop around is the best advice.

Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Look before you BOOK

We have just looked into going independeatly in september but it worked out about four hundred pounds cheaper with kuoni.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Look before you BOOK

I'll second what Maryann said. We got the costs to do our safari/beach hotel in September and it was costing at least £300+ each less to do it with Kuoni. And that was with the same safari outfit that Kuoni use. The big boys get the best prices on accommodation and flights so often work out cheaper.

However, I do book my safari-only trips direct with a Kenyan operator so I can choose where I go and for how long, rather than be tied to a package trip with a UK agent.

5. Re: Look before you BOOK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 12:21