We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari from Mombasa

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral
14 posts
Save Topic
Safari from Mombasa

Wife and I staying at the Voyager beach resort from 18/9/08 - 2/10/08, its our first visit to Mombasa and we would like to do a 2 or 3 night safari - any recommendations ? (we are both in our 50's and are more suited to the 'luxury/softie' option, wife dosnt like to rough it !

Steve

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari from Mombasa

Lucky you - you'll love Voyager.

Tips - go for as long as you can afford as its never long enough. Pay the extra for a private safari - who needs seat rotation and other people's travel sickness - yuk!

Lodges - You could push the boat out and go to Finch Hatton's although for the price of one night there you could get 2 or 3 nights at Ziwani Voyager camp (same hotel group as Voyager Mombasa). At Ziwani you sleep in tents with double beds, ensuite facilities all set around a hippo pool. At night you can go out for a game drive (not many lodges/camps allow that) where it all takes on a different feel, followed by dinner around the camp fire. You also get to do a game walk with an armed ranger and guide.

Another favourite is Salt Lick run by the same group as Whitesands. The rooms are in mushroom houses and the animals walk underneath the rooms.

This TA list has some companies to contact. tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294206-c9510/Kenya…

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari from Mombasa

Hi Steve,

yes, you can do a road safari to Tsavo - there are two parts, the east and the west one.

Accomodations - you can choose to stay in a lodge or in a camp. But staying in a camp has nothing in common with the usual definition of camping - it is nearly the same as staying in a hotel - with all the comfort. The tents have ensuite bathrooms and are very comfortable. Okay, there are some basic ones, but also very luxurious ones.

In Tsavo West there are the Severin Safari Camp (very good priced, would recommand the Kibo Suite) and the Finch Hattons (more luxurious, but more expensive). In the eastern part of the Tsavo you can have a look on the Galdessa Camp or the new Aruba Ashnil Lodge (there we will be next year).

The street from Mombasa to the Tsavo is much more better than the last years, but it will need about good 2 or 3 hours until you will arrive at your lodge.

I agree, if a road safari - it will be worth to have a vehicle for your own.

The other option is a flying safari from the coast to the famous Masai Mara.

There you have many accomodations like the Governors Camps, the Mara Intrepids (my favourite), the Mara Leisure Camp or much more.

The advantage is, that after your arrival in the Masai Mara you go straight on your first enroute game drive on the way to your lodge/camp.

After your safari is finished, you go straight back to the coast. It is a comfortable way.

There are offered some extras like bush walks, sundowners or bush dinners. This will be a nice experience.

The Masai Mara - no words to describe - but it is a fantastic place. The advantage against the Tsavo`s is, that it is allowed to leave the ways for a few time to watch certain animals. This and the point, that the landscape is more open, makes the spotting of animals a little bit better in the Mara than in the Tsavos. Especially in Tsave West you have much more bushes which makes the viewing harder.

If you have more questions - please feel free to ask.

Bye

Chrissy

devon
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari from Mombasa

Hi Steve

Staying at Voyager same time as you. Wife and I in same age bracket. Have just booked 3 day Masa Mara staying at Kichwa Tembo.

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari from Mombasa

Hi Steve,

We are coming into Voyager 23/9 and I booked a 3 day Tsavo east/west today. We booked through glorious safaris

http://www.glorioussafaris.com/

I was very impressed by their rapid response to my email and quick reply to a question I had.Both within a couple of hours of me posting .And their prices are excellent.

glorious-safaris@hotmail.com

September must be a time for the 50s brigade.Hope to see you all there.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari from Mombasa

A combination of Tsavo east and west 2 nights 3 days will give you a wider choice of game, or even 2 nights 3 days masai mara. we are a family of 5 and twice we have booked with Glorious safaris and not even once have we been disapointed, all went as planned and agreed, there contact person in Mombasa is Shadrack get in touch shadrack@glorioussafaris.com

we have already booked our safari with them this December.

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari from Mombasa

Hi like the two posts before me I recommend glorious safaris, you will get a safari to remember tailored to your needs - as well as recommending Lodges/camps, they are happy to quote for any lodges you want.

In May 2008 we did a 3 day/2 night safari to Tsavo East and West and stayed at Kilaguni and Aruba lodges (not tented camps), with sole occupancy of van and had a superb time.

Kilaguni was a super colonial lodge with amazing views out over a watering hole and the savannah, while Aruba Lodge , was only opened in April and has beautiful main areas overlooking the dam where plenty of elephants and buffalo came in the evening (the food was excellent).

Glorious Safaris were excellent, providing prompt replies every time we emailed and only asked for a small deposit paid in the UK, with the remainder paid when they met you a day or two before you go on safari to finalise itinerary.

They will take care of you, friendly staff, knowledgeable driver/guides, check their website (www.glorioussafaris.com) for special deals or better still contact them direct for a good quote -Shadrack@glorioussafaris.com.

Wirral
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari from Mombasa

Thanks everyone for the replies - very helpful - have been in touch with glorious safaris they are recommending 2 nights Tsavo East/West staying in Voi safari lodge East Tsavo and Ngulia Safari lodge West Tsavo - departing Friday 26/9 in company with another English couple who are also staying at Voyager. Before I book has anybody got any information or comments/knowledge of these lodges ?

Devonscouse - hope to see you in the bar one night for a drink and the same to househusband.

many thanks.

Steve

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari from Mombasa

Hi Steve

We are probably the other couple going on that date.Just waiting for comfirmation from Shadrack.

Our first time in Kenya and first safari so I did a lot of reading of the reviews of these loges. Almost everybody who has posted comments have agreed that although these are both basic lodges and in need of refurbishment they are clean and comfortable and well worth what you give up in luxury for the spectacular views .Plus seeing as they are going to make us get up so early (groan) we won't be spending much time in the rooms anyway.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari from Mombasa

These two lodges are owned by the same hotel chain. Both are in need of a refurb and at the cheaper end of the safari lodges. I also found the food at Voi sometimes cold ish as they use gas burners to keep the food hot - these blow out in the breeze and it doesn't get noticed so the food cools.

Plus points - Voi has a stunning view out over the savannah and watering holes. Animals come into the lodge gardens (one year we had elephants trying to get into the swimming pool) plus you can get close up and personal in the hide with animals at the watering hole.

Ngulia is close to the rhino sanctuary. They bait a tree at the lodge to entice a leopard to visit.

It depends what you want from your safari. Personally I would give Ngulia a miss and go for Kilaguni Serena - far better standard.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safari from Mombasa

It's surprising what different views there are on here. One thing to bear in mind, one mans basic is another mans luxury.....

I enjoyed my stay at Ngulia - the leopard did make an appearance and it was quite an experience. They have a very nice bar there and of course all the staff are very friendly. The one thing that sticks in my mind tho is when we had breakfast, we were sat in a cloud!! How great is that!! Anyway, both these lodges are lovely - most of them are. I think you'll enjoy yourself at these two.