We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

age restrictions on safari

exmouthtourists
Level Contributor
216 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
age restrictions on safari

Hi were off to the voyager on the 5th of december for two weeks (let us know if your there then)and just wondered if anyone knows what the age restrictions (if any) for the safari trips as we have a little girl (20 months) and feel its probably not a great idea to go, any advice would be greatly apreciated. cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: age restrictions on safari

As far as I am aware there is no age restriction for a safari, but as your child is only 20 months old I would only consider a private safari - especially as a shared safari could upset your fellow passengers.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: age restrictions on safari

Its a shame to miss out on safari but you can always go down the road to Haller Park and handfeed the giraffes one afternoon.

Or, make the effort and book a private safari and go to somewhere like Voi Wildlife Lodge. If your little one is like mine, she would probably sleep for most of the journey up to Voi (2 - 3 hours). Work your game drives around her. Maybe take a baby listening device so she can go to bed while you sit watching the watering hole? Also we saw lots of car seats going around the baggage carousel this time so maybe take one?

Birmingham.U.K.
Level Contributor
148 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: age restrictions on safari

Hi Folks,

We were in Devon yesterday.I believe that Safari Companies/ Lodges in Kenya will not take children under 14 years.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: age restrictions on safari

There is no universal set age limit for children on safari HOWEVER you would be wise to check with the camps/lodges that you will be staying at as to their personal restrictions.

Several of the camps in my vicinity (N/E Mara) will not accept children below the age of 7 on game drives however I have just hosted a group of four with an infant of two-and-a-half, on the proviso that they pay for exclusive vehicle use so as not to disrupt other guests. There is also the safety issue involved with young children - insurance, liability etc.

Many children find game drives tiring; some find them boring. If children are not well-behaved or well-disciplined and decide to jump out of the vehicle, say, in front of a pride of lions, liability would ultimately rest with the guide and with us if something were to happen to them. Therefore, you should speak with the manager or head office of the camps concerned before you visit.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,870 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: age restrictions on safari

If you can arrange to take your little one on safari, it will have to be private as with others, many just prefer not to have a child around.

I also strongly suggest you have your own car seat to strap in; be sure your vehicle has seat-belts to enable you to do so. Children will often sleep during game drives, but if not, when awake can get irritable with the bumpy roads. Crying sounds will either send game scurrying, or come closer!

Arrange at beach hotel and at safari properties for a baby crib with mossie net. Camps can provide (for a fee) a nanny if you wish quiet private dinner.

Only you know your child, but these are things to consider, besides malaria meds, insect repellent, sun protection cream, etc.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: age restrictions on safari

I hate to burst your bubble, but I do not advise anyone bring small children to Kenya. It's very hard to treat them for malaria, there's always a risk of picking up something in the food (always drink bottled water, of course), and the roads are such a hazard they can pose great danger. If you insist on going, a very sturdy carseat is a must. Also, it will probably be very very hot -- particularly in Mombasa which can make little ones uncomfortable. As much as I love Kenya, I will not bring my nephew to visit until he's 8 (and tour companies, as was cited above, usually have the age of 7 as a minumum). Abercrombie and Kent will definitely not take children under 7. However, I want my nephew to gain as much from the experience as possible, and that obviously doesn't seem to be what you're aiming for given the very young age of your girl. Obviously, I doubt a 20 month old child would get a lot out of a safari and the roads are so rough that it could very possibly prove to be uncomfortable for the little one.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: age restrictions on safari

Sorry to contradict you KenyaSafariGirl but I work for A&K (Abercrombie & Kent) and it was us who had the two-and-a-half year old here over the past few days. I've also had several children well under the age of 7 staying during the past month, and going on game drives but, as I said before, their parents have had to pay for exclusive vehicle use.

As for the slight element of scaremongering in your post over malaria and such like (you do make Kenya sound rather frightening!), with all due respect how on earth do you think those of us cope who bring our children up here?! We don't emigrate to the sanitised First World until they're over the age of seven ;-)

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: age restrictions on safari

A road safari up to Voi isn't exactly outward bound! My youngest was 3 when he first went to Kenya and hasn't suffered for it. I would say that was back in the pre-paediatric malaria medication days when I had to mix daily and weekly malaria tablets with jam or yoghurt - nightmare!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,870 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: age restrictions on safari

I too have seen many young children out in the bush. Whether these have been locals or visitors I can't say. And, as camps/lodges show prices from age "infant" to 12/yrs as "free-of-charge" or discounts, respectively, children do visit and safari in Kenya/Tanzania.

However, it's important to plan carefully, for both safari and beach - accommodations, medications, food,clothing, beds, car seats, etc. etc.

Unfortunately, children rarely remember experiences once grown, much farther back than age 3, so the adventure will likely be lost on your 20/month old. Grandma and grandpa can come in handy at this time.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: age restrictions on safari

Seems a shame to go that far and not go on safari. Previous poster has a point about Grandparents I must admit. However, having lived in kenya and having taken toddlers on safari it is a matter of personal preference. Some lodges have cots, etc.

Since your child will be taking antimalarials for the coast (as mine has done several times from just under 2)that isn't really the issue. Yes, I would expect you to have to hire a private vehicle so that will bump the cost up. To be fair, no-one wants to be stuck out in the bush with a wailing infant (and it can happen!). My daughter was 3 months old on her first trip to Africa and 22 months old on her first Big 5 safari. 7 years later she still loves our regular trips. A bit selfish, I know, but we just carried on travelling and she is quite happy to come too. No doubt the day will come when she wants to do something different (we do plan our trips together now) but until then . . .

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations