We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hot air balloon rides in masai mara

Birmingham England
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
hot air balloon rides in masai mara

Has anyone been on one these hot air balloon rides in the masai mara and if yes do you think it is worth the money? We have been quouted £200 pp for this and we are just wondering if it is worth the cash? I have read a review of someone who said it was not worth it. But that is only one guy. Would be grateful if you could respond as we are due to fly out next wednesday1 Cant wait!

anitakbrennan@hotmail.com

Manchester
Level Contributor
459 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hot air balloon rides in masai mara

We went on one in August. It was a great experience but not one that I would pay the money again for having got the T-Shirt. Do it once otherwise you will always wonder what you missed. It's definately not a waste of money!

See our pics and read our blog www.new.facebook.com/album.php…

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hot air balloon rides in masai mara

Did not see much from the air when we went but the landing was rather intresting ! I shall leave it as that !

Scotland
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hot air balloon rides in masai mara

We did a hot air balloon ride last year in the Mara as we thought it would be a brilliant experience and had read lots of good reports on here about it.

I have to say that the excitement and anticipation was better then the actual experience. We saw very few animals, the highlight was seeing a Masai village from the air. We missed a game drive to go on it but I would rather have been on the game drive.

It was enjoyable but in my opinion not worth the money, about £450 for the two of us. There were three other people in our group who did the balloon flight with us and they were of the same opinion as ourselves.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hot air balloon rides in masai mara

As others have mentioned, it depends on your expectations. As hot air balloons to a larger extent cannot dictate the direction in which they fly, there is no guarantee that you will see game. So if you are taking the flight purely to see game, then I would suggest that you either don't bother, or maybe revise your expectations.

However, in terms of experience, it's unbeatable. There's nothing quite so romantic and beautiful as getting up in the dark, heading out to the launch site, watching the crew inflate the balloons and then climbing away into the sunrise, to be met at the other end by a delicious champagne breakfast. It's quite wonderful. I've now flown around 13 times this year and am about to take my 14th flight on Sunday. Quite magical. I always say to my guests: if you do one thing in the Mara, do the balloon flight.

Any questions please feel free to PM me.

MM

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hot air balloon rides in masai mara

I'm with MasaiMiss on this one. It shouldn't be viewed as an alternative game drive but an experience in itself. We did it 10 years ago in September and it was wonderful to see plenty of game around but this was just secondary to the atmosphere and adventure. We would love to do it again but the price is a stumbling block.

MaisaiMiss - got any jobs going for me?!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hot air balloon rides in masai mara

"MaisaiMiss - got any jobs going for me?!!"

After the election fiasco it's a sad truth that all of us here are just hanging onto our jobs by our teeth and nails. But you're welcome to apply if you're Kenyan or have a valid work permit... otherwise pole sana :-(

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hot air balloon rides in masai mara

I know, I know, MaisaiMiss! I'll have to just keep handing out the shillings to keep all of you off the streets! The Mara's not done too bad out of me this year.

Birmingham England
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hot air balloon rides in masai mara

thanks for the feedback on this guys. Much appreciated! Still undecided though!

arizona
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hot air balloon rides in masai mara

If you haven't been on the balloon safari website - try it. There is a 20 minute video of the trip, inflating the balloons etc.

Folkestone, Kent
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: hot air balloon rides in masai mara

My husband and I did this last year. I was absolutely terrified and wasn't keen on going, but my husband really wanted to do it.

But I have to say, it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It's so surreal and peaceful, I don't think words could do it justice. For me, it was the best part of the safari.

Like others have said, well worth the money for the experience but maybe not for the game viewing.