We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smoking at the lodges on safari

essex england
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
smoking at the lodges on safari

Does anyone know if smoking is still allowed at the lodges and camps while on safari? We have one smoker in our party of five and if she can't smoke at all then being in a jeep with her for four days will be sheer hell! lol

We will be staying at Kilaguni Lodge, Oltukai Lodge and Galdessa Camp. Any advice will be greatly appreciated by her and by the rest of us!

Marie.

JTS LTD
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Safaris
UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: smoking at the lodges on safari

Three weeks ago you could still smoke at Galdessa can't provide recent info about the other lodges. Have a good trip you lucky things!

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: smoking at the lodges on safari

Hi Marie

In April this year, we were at Ol Tukai and Kilaguni and smoking was permitted at both of them.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
972 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: smoking at the lodges on safari

A lot has changed since they really enforced the smoking thing out there. We didn't visit any lodges while we were there recently (as we were camping) but most hotels have smoking sections. So it's not that the smoker of your party won't be able to smoke, more that they will be restricted to where.

It's really given me an added push, though, to be an ex-smoker when I go back at the end of the year!

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: smoking at the lodges on safari

Mwingereza - do what I did, visit a hypnotherapist. Cost me and hubby £50 each 2 and half years ago. We went in at 2pm, came out at 3pm and have never smoked since, never wanted one, don't bother with other peoples smoke. The best money I have ever spent, ever.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
972 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: smoking at the lodges on safari

That's just what I'm looking into at the moment, Min. Only drawback is the £195 cost but if it works it is less 800 fags. If it doesn't it's a day less on safari!!

Sorry folks, well off-thread!

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
657 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: smoking at the lodges on safari

Reading this with interest, as I am a recent quitter, I tried the hypnosis, and just wasted a load of money, sorry didn't work for me. However if you do want to quit, try the champix tablets, you take them for two weeks while still smoking, and then pick a quit date, its far easier to resist the temptation to have one...... ( temptation is still there but 99% of the time you will resist). I am glad now that I won't be stressed on safari wanting a fag......... phew.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,739 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: smoking at the lodges on safari

Off topic again, but here in the States it's Chantix (sp). As with any med, before using read all the possible side-effects of which this does have a long list. Hypno does seem to work for many people.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
972 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: smoking at the lodges on safari

Still off-thread but maybe all this talk about stopping smoking will rub off on number 5 in the party!

Nicotine Replacement Therapy was not a great help last time so would have gladly given either the Champix or Xyban a go but my doctors seem to be most unhelpful, don't prescribe there, been referred to the Smoking Cessation Clinic but not a dicky-bird.

So much for NHS help!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: smoking at the lodges on safari

Just make sure they don't throw their cigarette butts out the window when on safari and sipose of them properly. The guide we had saw someone throw a butt out the window when on a game drive. He stopped picked it and approached the offender (in anothere vehicle) both he and the driver got stuck into him and rightly so. My advice carry a bottle with a little bit of water in it and chuck ciggy into that.

cheers

HP

10. Re: smoking at the lodges on safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 11:22