We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please !!!

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice please !!!

Hi

We are thinking of returning to Kenya in April 09, i have been reading about the smoking bans and they are quite confusing, is in now totally no smoking anywhere even in the open air on the streets, can you have a smoke when you are waiting for the transfer and is there no smoking anywhere at the hotels. As we both smoke we dont want to book a holiday where we cant have a fag. Also can anyone let me know what the weather is like in April as we have always gone in November in the past. Would really appreciate any help on this

Thanks

Lou

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please !!!

Hi,

You can smoke in the carpark at the airport once you have left the terminal and waiting for your bus to load up.Or at least we all were with no objections.I asked a policeman if we were allowed to smoke on the street ,he said as long as we were not flaunting it as it was ramadam still.When we did light up nobody gave us a second glance.

The Voyager has smoking points dotted around and you could take your tuskers with you, but the only bar you was allowed to smoke at was the lookout bar which was fine by us.And of course request a smoking room and relax on the balcony smoking to your hearts content.We both smoke and my wife is quite a heavy smoker but we found no more problems finding a place for a ciggie than anywhere else we've been to.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please !!!

Smoking out in Kenya since July '08 has been a pain in the butt, excuse the pun! It has become very strict. Hotels now have smoking areas, you cannot smoke on the streets unless it's in a designated zone, no smoking at all in the airports or even outside in the carpark. We were allowed to smoke in our room/on the balcony but I think you should ask for a smoking room, to be on the safe side. I'm not saying you can't smoke but it's now got so restrictive that we've sworn we'll have kicked the habit (or not be smoking, quite different things!) before we return at the end of the year.

We have only been in April once previously and the weather was great. However, it could be the beginning of the long rains as the weather patterns are becoming a little unpredictable. At least the rain is warm out there!

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please !!!

Househusband - the airport car-parks are definitely a no-go area for smoking. That's not to say that we didn't light-up, it's just the getting caught doing it, which we were at Nairobi airport (got away with it that time, thankfully).

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please !!!

Thanks for the quick replies seriously thin that we might be giving kenya a miss as we would rahter fully relax and enjoy our holiday with no restrictions shame as we do love kenya

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please !!!

That would be a great shame. My hubby's a smoker and yes, he was gasping by the time he got to the hotel (never seen him move so fast off the bus!)he soon adapted to taking his drink to the smoking zone. In fact, it turned into a little social club and he seemed to be gone for hours!

At Voyager, the whole relax pool was in the smoking zone so you can still puff away on your sunbed.

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please !!!

Great place the relax pool ,sunbeds ,pool,drinks and ashtrays ...bliss.

7. Re: Advice please !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 17:32