We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bamburi Beach Hotel - Any Info?

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
278 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Bamburi Beach Hotel - Any Info?

Hey guys,

Just booked a weeks trip to the Bamburi Beach Hotel. Looked like a nice place from my initial research, but I'm slowly doubting my decision!

The beach looks like a complete wreck and I keep hearing of horror stories with regards to the beggers and sellers plying their trade on the already disgusting beach.

Why are they allowed to do this?

Can anyone quench my caveats?

Thanks!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
655 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bamburi Beach Hotel - Any Info?

Why do you say the beach is a wreck ?? Yes you get hasseled on the beach, but thats the norm on most north mombasa beaches. Were going to the travellers in feb, which I think is next door. Bamburi beach hotel minght not be to everyone's taste but we stayed there feb 07 and had a wonderful holiday !!

Dean

London
Level Contributor
278 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bamburi Beach Hotel - Any Info?

Perhaps a wreck was a bit steep, but I mean, I saw some photos (albeit they were from 06) of stalls and sellers galore on the beach RIGHT outside the Bamburi Beach Hotel. It looked a complete mess... And there was black stuff all over the beach, probably sea stuff, washed up from the tide, but it just added to the nasty look of it..

I hope its nothing like that any more :(..

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bamburi Beach Hotel - Any Info?

The black stuff is probably sea weed that gets washed in on the tide. Lots of hotels send the gardening staff out first thing in the morning to clear it in front of the hotel - unfortunately it gets washed back in on the next tide.

Bamburi beach is a busy stretch of beach and you will find more beachboys than tourists on it. However, don't be put off. We love going down to Jomo Kenyatta Beach at the weekend (a little walk to the right of Bamburi Beach). You'll meet local families enjoying the weekend, see the kids having fun with tyres and you can hire a chair and stop for a drink without any problem. Plus, for a smoker you are allowed to smoke on the public beach.

Do watch the tide though as it comes right in and can cut you off in places.

uk
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bamburi Beach Hotel - Any Info?

was next door to bamburi beach at travellers, the black stuff is seaweed and yes the guys clear it away from front of hotels, the stalls are all along the beach with the traders trying to make a living, the place is dead at the momnet with very few tourists, if you want a sunbed on the beach come out of bamburi hit the beach and turn left keep walking as far as you can go until you come to yamas beach bar, sunbeds ,cold drinks and you are left alone

London
Level Contributor
278 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bamburi Beach Hotel - Any Info?

How far away a walk is Yamas beach Bar then?

Sounds like a plan!

Thanks or your really awesome tips guys, much appreciated!!

6. Re: Bamburi Beach Hotel - Any Info?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 23:21