We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haller Park

plymouth
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Haller Park

Is anybody else disgusted why the way the snakes were kept at Haller Park? They were kept in tiny tanks. I asked our guide if they were ever let out, to which the answer was No. I did hear they are going to improve their conditions. I hope this is true.

Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Haller Park

Hi, i agree most of the snakes were in small tanks except the big python's which were obviously in bigger ones, also the giant turtle's were amazing!!

Mold, North Wales
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haller Park

Talked to a guy,one of the senior guides, there this year and they are going to redevelop that whole area of the Park, when I don't know but he was of the opinion it wouldn't be too long, when we were there there wern't that many snake inmates and most of the tanks were in fact empty.

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
369 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haller Park

Snake section was closed when we were there for redevelopment.

Birmingham.U.K.
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haller Park

Hi folks,

Isn't Haller Park,with the exception of the tortoises,a bit of a let down generally.Any tourist visiting Mombasa who does not go on safari must get a poor impression of Kenya and it's wildlife after visiting this third rate "zoo".We think it would easily win the "Most overrated attraction in Kenya" award and perhaps if tourists stopped visiting they might do something about the conditions.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,234 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haller Park

When you see pictures of what it was like as a quarry, just a vast crater, the achievements of Dr. Haller are fantastic. Walking around looking at the shrubs, trees and insect life is fascinating. For people unable to go on safari its an inexpensive afternoon out of the hotel.

Birmingham.U.K.
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haller Park

Tembofan,

That's what it still looks like a quarry poorly disguised with trees and shrubs.Add to this the previously mentioned Victorian standard snake exhibits and then the bonus of the crocodile farm all waiting to reach "handbag" size.Dr.Haller must have studied economics because he certainly knows how to make money and spends very little.To suggest that any visitor from the UK or Europe would find this place interesting when compared to the standards that"animal parks"in their own countries strive to offer visitors these days is a joke.Surely visitors to Kenya would be expecting something of a much higher standard than they are used to at home,bearing in mind that most of these animals are indigenous.If visitors are desperate for something to occupy their time we're sure that there are far more interesting tours on offer that will avoid perpetuating the support of this sad spectacle.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Haller Park

Although, yes the animals were nothing really special I thought the landscaping in parts was absolutely beautiful. My brother in law works as a landscaper there but I promise that's not the only reason I'm saying that!! It is definitely worth a visit even if you are doing a safari. Just to feed the giraffes and pet the giant turtles is something you won't get on a safari. Of course there were parts I would skip next time such as the reptiles and crocodiles (not my thing) but I plan to go back again when I visit in Jan. It's also pretty inexpensive if you just want to have a relaxing day.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haller Park

I agree with Tembo on this one. I think he and I must have been looking at a different park than all others on here (with a couple of exceptions). Tell me, is there somewhere in England where you can feed giraffes by hand, watch crocs at dinner time and have the sun also, at quite a cheap price? Don't forget, no-one at Haller Park denies that they farm crocs and this is quite well known around Mombasa - just ask about the place before you go. If farmed crocs offend, don't go!

It's OK I suppose to pick at the place but at the end of the day, you'd be complaining if all you were looking at was a vast hole and quarry - then it would be "why hasn't something been done about the ugliness of the quarry and concrete?" At the end of the day, you don't have to go again but don't put other people off when clearly some of us rather like the place.

In answer to the original question, the snakes ARE let out and quite often - I have handled them and whilst there, they were out because their tanks were being cleaned and repaired.

Final note, I wonder how many local people are employed by Haller Park and I wonder what the numbers are for drivers (bus, matatu, tuk tuk, bike and taxi's) who also get a living out of this? Be sensible, there's some ugliness in every part of the World and the UK lead the way on a fair few ugly places.....

Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Haller Park

Totally agree with you MinMcleo, well said!

Iver Heath, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Haller Park

ditto MinMcleo

Ive been to haller half a dozen times before, and its on my Itinery to visit again later this month.

Dont be put of its well worth an inexpensive visit.

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations