We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for safaris - cash or card?

Welling, Kent
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Paying for safaris - cash or card?

Hi All,

Can anyone please tell me if we can pay for our safari on credit/debit card or if the companies can only accept cash? We are a bit concerned about taking loads of currency over with us.

Also is there anywhere local to the Travellers to change up travellers cheques or are we better off using the local cash machine?

Thanks

Paula

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying for safaris - cash or card?

Hi Paula

It depends on the company you use for your safari. We always use Somak who after 25 safaris I can say have never let us down. If you walk out of Travellers and turn left there is a Barclays Bank about 60 yerds along. You can change Travellers cheques for a better rate than at hotels. Do take your passport and would you believe the proof of purchase slip. I didn't and had to return to hotel for it. Also 2 ATM's which has been my choice for many years now. Quite safe and armed security is there. Have a great time

Danielle

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying for safaris - cash or card?

Leave the travellers cheques home ..waste of time in Kenya you will lose so much in the transaction

as Danby says the local Barclays is very near to Travellers stick with the machine ..

D 8 days and counting !!!!!!!!!

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying for safaris - cash or card?

Wow. Only 8 days now, thanks for reminding me. Check list time I think for the luggage. low energy bulbs at 5 for 40p are ready to go. Do hope customs dont pick me to turn the cases out !!!!!! Last time it cost me 900ks but they only checked one case. Checked with Kenyan High Commission and new and used clothes can be taxed. In fact anything that isn't for us to use. I know I'm tiny but explaining how I get into a 5 years old dress is asking a little to much. Tubby husband couldn't get his arm in the boys things. Just have to smile and look confident. Time to clean the fridge out and stock the freezer I think. Have a good flight

Danielle

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying for safaris - cash or card?

well I am ****** if they open my case ..size 8 briefs and 30- bb bra`s plus a couple of mens trousers with 28 waist 29ins leg for a 6ft 3in man? oh Ha ha ha my pants/bra are in the back pack - never know when you need a parachute !!!!!!!!!!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying for safaris - cash or card?

On the exchange rates,forget the hotels and the banks, take a taxi to Town to either Pwani Forex bureu or Leo Forex bureu you will get a better deal without any commission charged.

6. Re: Paying for safaris - cash or card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2009, 13:04
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying for safaris - cash or card?

If you take £GB, Shaban at the Money Market next door to Cheers which is about 5 minutes from Travellers will give you a far better rate, than hotels or banks and you dont have the worry about getting a taxi into Mombasa to exchange your money, he is also an honest guy, thought we gave him £500 to exchange, actually was £520 in envelope, he phoned for us to come down & pick up extra £20, now that is not something that happens everyday in Kenya!!!

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying for safaris - cash or card?

I agree with Mary - Shaban will exchange your money and he is completly honest and there NOT forgeries ...its right opposite the Bamburi Police Station .. (9am until 12 midnight)

9. Re: Paying for safaris - cash or card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations