We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question re yellow fever vaccination.

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
657 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
question re yellow fever vaccination.

Doyou have to show a certificate stating that you have had the yellow fever vaccine? I am hitting a problem with my G.P who said due to the fact that children may react to the vaccination, children do not need to be vaccinated? anyone who has traveled with children please let me know what you have done.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question re yellow fever vaccination.

Hi,

Yellow fever vaccination is strongly recommended but is not mandatory for Kenya, so you will not have to show a certificate.

If you were to continue on from Kenya to, say, South Africa you would have to show a certificate to get into South Africa as Kenya is in the Yellow Fever region (though it is not endemic there).

hereford
Level Contributor
83 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question re yellow fever vaccination.

We have never been asked for our yellow fever certificates, but always carry them with us when we travel to Kenya. We first visited there in 2000 with our children, who both had the vaccination, can't understand why your GP is hesitant about giving it - he should be advising you to have the vaccination!

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
657 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question re yellow fever vaccination.

She is hesitant because she feels that it can make children very ill..... and she said to check did we actually really really need the vacination. I think its because she has had to inject them with quite a few injections that she is hesitant. They are young at two years and four years, and then having to take malarone,.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question re yellow fever vaccination.

Hi,

Lots of info on YF here:

www.nathnac.org/pro/factsheets/yellow.htm

Kent
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question re yellow fever vaccination.

Hi Biddypat,

We have had our 2 y/o vaccinated against yellow fever last week (just 20 days to go.. so excited). Anyway, there was no reaction or side effects. When I spoke to our nurse (sometimes doctors can be a bit vague ...) She weighed our child first. As a rule of thumb I think if a child is over 11kg they can be vaccinated. Of course it is your choice if you decide not to vaccinate them.

Hope this helps and you all enjoy your visit to Kenya.

6. Re: question re yellow fever vaccination.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 17:16