We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep Sea Fishing

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nairobi
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Deep Sea Fishing

Hi All,

It is apparent that deep sea fishing in Mombasa has become very popular. Many that that you will have a very good chance to catch some of the magnificent game fish which abound in the Indian Ocean such as Dorado, Yellowfin Tuna, Wahoo, Kingfish, Barracuda, Sailfish, Shark, Black Marlin, Blue Marlin and Striped Marlin.

If you are lucky to have fishermen onboard, I understand they can brief you on the history of Mombasa Old Town and the historic Fort Jesus, the fortress that was constructed by the Portuguese in 1593.

Back to deep sea fishing........I wonder if you can indulge in this activity if you cant swim. Any ideas??/

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Forget the mombasa area, I,ve just come back from watamu and there are hundreds of sailfish north of malindi at the moment ! on my best 2 days I caught 13 sailfish and then a personal record of 19 ! one boat came in with 23 last week ! and top score this year is 27

The fishing at the moment is unusual but not to be missed ! I,ve been fishing kenya since 1996 and this year has got to be the best ever, even mrs smudger came out for her first ever trip ! she's really annoyed with herself now as she said its one of the best things she's ever seen whilst in kenya, she thought she would have a problem being sea sick but the state of the sea at the moment is very calm indeed, so much different to august, there is no way I would take her out then, I,m just so pleased that after all these years she finally gave it a go and enjoyed it so much, I've even got permission to do MORE fishing than usual next year, with my new fishing partner in tow (mrs smudger)

We,ve had such a special time in Kenya this year, its certainly been mad, we have never stopped but I cannot stess how good the fishing is at the moment north of malindi ! if your visiting in the next week or so give it a try, the skippers think they will move further south very soon as the wind has turned very early indeed

Nairobi
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Hi Smudger 888,

Certainly it seems like you had a very good time..

Congratulations on your catch! 19 is something.

I have noted your recommendation on North Malindi and I hope my Mr. will finally agree to come with me so we can try out deep sea fishing.

Your experience sounds too exciting.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Just a few photos for you, look at all the flags on Alleycat ! I took that from the small boat that takes you back to the shore, its a good feeling coming back in with all those flags flying !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smudger888/

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Great pics, what a wonderfull time it must have been. It just makes it even harder to wait for next year now!! lol

London
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Hehe, there in under 2 weeks. Hope they're still around

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Pete got 11 today, the water is getting dirty now and the sail are moving south with the current

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

the old link will not work now, try this one

flickr.com/photos/…

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Smudger, what a catch! You lucky one!

We once went on a half-day deepseafishing trip at the South Coast with Majik Sport Fishing a couple of years ago and we caught two large fish, a Wahoo and a Kingfish and we were so proud, but 19 fish! Congratulations!

Hopefully, we`ll catch some large ones again when we`re at the South Coast in January again, but I guess we`ll just have to try the fishing at the Malindi/Watamu area when we`re staying there at the Turtle Bay Beach Club next year in June! It seems an eldorado for fishing there!

Thanks for sharing your experiences and pics!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Watamu is rated in the top 3 in the world for sail fish, which has been proven over the last 4 weeks, I,ve never ever seen so many boats coming in with so many flags, we also caught lots of yellow fin tuna, wahoo and dorado, if any one trys the fishing and catches a dorado, you must take it to the chef at your hotel ! its the best eating fish out there, the chef at turtle bay beach club was only to pleased to cook ours, I,ll do some more photos at the weekend, I,ve got so many to process

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Hi Smudge

click on the link below and have a look at the new gear and the boat I use, lots of new equipment waiting for us when we get there in feb

…snapfish.co.uk/groupview/…53272787

Skippies Mob

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations