We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Visa

My partner and I will be making our first trip to Kenya in Feb this year and can't wait!!! Could anyone please tell me if tourist visas can be obtained on arrival in Mombasa or do we need to sort them out in the UK before we leave?

Any advice will be gratefully received!!

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa

You Visas can be obtained in Mombasa on arrival you will need to have 50 US $ for each. You can purchase them prior to travel from the kenyan high commission in London. What ever you decide download an application form

http://www.kenyahighcommission.net/visas.html

Plymouth, UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa

Thank you, what would you advise? Can it take a long time to get on arrival? We have our transfers to hotel included by first choice and wouldn't want to hold everyone else up, although I expect there would be other people on our coach also gaining their visas in Mombasa?!

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa

We have done it both ways and personally I would rather get the Visa before we travel. I have no patience at the best of times and queing for 30-40 mins to get a visa is not high of my agenda of things to do when I've just spent 9 hours on a plane.

We have got visas a lot quicker than that but my husband does not want to run the risk!!!!

We sent ours off with the £30 each and our passports were back in a week. A lot easier in my opinion but LOTS and LOTS of people get them at the airport without any problems at all.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa

Hi we always get our visas in advance and they normally come back in a week, but I don't think I would be happy sending my passports off so close to travelling

When are you going in Feb as we are flying out on the 5th and are going to Voi Safari Lodge first for a couple of days and are then travelling down to Diani Sea Resort for 3 weeks, where are you staying.

Have a great New Year

Skippies Mob

Plymouth, UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa

Thank you for your responses that's really helpful. We are not going until the 27th feb which is 8 weeks tomorrow! Counting down the days! We will be staying at Travellers. I hope you have a fab time!!! I am thinking we will probably have to get them on arrival as my partner doesn't have his new passport yet. I have been nagging him for weeks now to get it sorted, poor man!! But I cant believe he has left it so close to our holiday to get it!!! I have already told him I will be going with or without him!!!

Hope everyone has a great 2009!

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa

Well have a great time ;O)

I always send our passports Special Delivery and they are returned Recorded Delivery although you can put a SD self addressed envelope in if you prefer.

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa

i get my visa when i arrive at the airport. Last year first choice did not hand out the forms thankfully i had prined mine off at home and had filled it in and had my money ready. There were masses of people who wer pushing for space to fill theres in.

Iver Heath, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa

They have changed the way they handle imigration, you will find you have to join the same que wether you have already obtaind the visa or not. There is no longer a fast track through for those who have a visa.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa

We just went to Mombasa and got our visas when we landed. There was only one person ahead of us in the queue and it took less than 5 minutes. There is a separate line for visa applications which you then take to the passport control.

Hope this helps and have a great time!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,257 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa

Travelbugbug,

You say in your other post that you arrived in Mombasa via Nairobi, in which case you must have cleared immigration in Nairobi where they do have a separate desk for East African passports and people with visas.