We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook / Monarch 18 May 2009

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swindon England
Level Contributor
289 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook / Monarch 18 May 2009

Sad Day

Our holiday booked June 2008 for 18 May 2009 payment due 23 Feb 09 was cancelled today.

We are told by Thomas Cook Monarch have ceased flying to Mombasa for May hence no alternative dates can be offered. We may have a refund etc or book another Thomas Cook holiday but there is nothing to match the price we contracted last June.

Has anyone else had their 18 May holiday cancelled?

It seems strange that Monarech are offering their own holidays that date if they aren't flying.

We are devasted having organised a grand Safari with Ringo.

Suggestions welcome asap

Dariusdave

essex
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook / Monarch 18 May 2009

dave we are going on 4th of may, we booked with first choice, have you tried them.

West Yorks, England
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook / Monarch 18 May 2009

Darius Dave

Try Virgin.

I have booked with them today for July, for 4 of us and they were over 1500 pound cheaper than First choice

wales
Level Contributor
719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook / Monarch 18 May 2009

I know this is of no real use to you, but my thoughts are with you. We were caught out when XL collapsed last year, even though we were covered we still havent seen a penny in compensation. Its so gutting isnt it. Hope you find somthing soon.

Good Luck

Alison

x

Swindon England
Level Contributor
289 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook / Monarch 18 May 2009

Essex & Yorkshire

Thank you both for taking the time and trouble to reply.

My problem is that I like to book cheap and spend on a long Safari. This time we were going again with Ringo to Ngorongora Crater and Serengti. Regret that today's prices are way above the £1308 agreed last June with Thomas Cook for 14 days AI!!!!!!

2007 we went Tsavo West then Amboseli by road with fly to Masa Mara which was perfect. Next time we will just book flights and go direct. Below is a link to my review and you are welcome to view photos at Photobucket use Dariusdave.

african-safari-journals.com/kenya-safari-lod…

Thanks Dariusdave

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook / Monarch 18 May 2009

If you want cheap and don't mind the standard, how about African Safari Club? if you aren't using their accommodation much it shouldn't be too bad (lol!).

They are advertising 18th May 2 weeks at Shanzu for £424. They used to use Monarch but maybe they've started using ASA again? Might be worth enquiring.

When did they tell you they would re-start the Monarch flight?

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
862 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook / Monarch 18 May 2009

Hi Dariusdave, just read your post re monarch not flying to mombasa i am a bit concerned as we fly out on June 8th with airtours/thomas cook did they offer any alternative airline for your booking we looked at changing our booking yesterday but could not find one to match the price we paid but we booked with coop travel but still thomas cook any info greatly appreciated. Boogie 264

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook / Monarch 18 May 2009

Sorry to hear about your situation, Dariusdave.

However, this is not the first time I've seen such threads posted on this forum. This seems to have happened several times over the past few years (just put cancelled monarch flights into the search and you'll see what I mean). It seems like a dishonest way of hooking people with a good deal only to cancel it at the last minute leaving no option but to book a much more expensive option from one of their fellow operators. Sounds fishy, eh?

Have you contacted Monarch directly to find out the situation? If your flight still exists then contact TC and call their bluff. If you go to their website

http://holidays.monarch.co.uk/

they are still ofering deals to Kenya one week later (25th May). Smacks of sharp practice to me.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
862 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook / Monarch 18 May 2009

Hi DariusDave,

how is it going have you been able to rebook something else yet, i was thinking 1st choice/thompson fly there can you get a flight only or package deal with them. I know a few other people on this forum have just had it happen to them. I am just waiting to here the same from them for our June holiday then the sparks will fly. Hope everything turns out ok. boogie264

9. Re: Thomas Cook / Monarch 18 May 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 05:27