We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do apart from safari?

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey, Channel...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do apart from safari?

We are going to Kenya for the 3rd time in November for 2 weeks, staying at the voyager (for my 40th!...can't wait). Having done two excellent safaris on our previous visits we have decided that we won't do one this time and instead would like to do a few more day trips than we have done in the past. We are keen to see 'real' Kenya safely and would like to visit some schools, villages and orphanages. We would also like to do a dhow trip etc. What sort of items can we take with us as 'gifts' that are needed by the schools etc?

Please can we have some ideas and recommendations?

Many thanks for any help you can give us!

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do apart from safari?

there many things to do in Kenya.

Like you could take a overnight trip to Robinson Island

(is like the story) three small huts with solar light and open air shower.. do not go if you need all the luxus of the world (then go for a day tour) but if you are a little adventures stay overnight on this remote island. the owneres run a comunity project and there is a small village shool which you can suport.

If you like snorkeling there is the Watamu Marine park

which you could visit or the Shimoni marine park towards the Border to Tanzania. While you are here visit the Shimoni caves where the slaves where looked up on their way to the Zanzibar Sklave market.

Nguni Wagen, part of the Haller Park, where you can sleep over under the stars, somethink realy nice and you are still so close to Mombasa. Good place for Birdlovers and if you just want to come out without travel to long. Or just romantic......

Mombasa City tour ...

Shimba Hills ....

Ngomongo Village .... in Shanzu

Bombululu Workshops ....

Akamba Woodcarvings ... Changamwe

Visit Rabai where Ludwig Kraft started his Missionery there is a museum and the area is very nice

Water sports all over the coast you find activity

Dhow tours from Mtwapa La marina or Shimoni or funzi

Dhow Tour and Light show at the Fort Jesus with Jahzi Marine

Jersey, Channel...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do apart from safari?

Thanks very much for all those ideas...looks like I've got some research to do.....

uk
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do apart from safari?

how about a local flight to lamu and spend 24 hrs there and look at the real swahili houses , its nice to look about and most hotels are ok , dont stay at sun sail tho not very clean, lamu palaoce is nice

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do apart from safari?

What to do at Voyager?

Judging by other peoples’ posts it looks like you’ll be spending a great deal of your holiday time on the loo, buying Imodium from the hotel shop or talking to the Nurse/Doctor when he comes to visit you in your room.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do apart from safari?

If you haven't been there yet how about visiting Nairobi or Kisumu, its amazing how many people only use their airports when both have things to keep you occupied for a short while in Kisumu's Case (but quiet a few hings to do in Western kenya) and several days in the case of Nairobi.

you've obviously caught Kenyaitis . Its a big country get a Rough guide to Kenya and plan the holiday after November

Jersey, Channel...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do apart from safari?

Thanks for that Mzungu_Mzee_Sana.......very helpful!!!!

To everyone else who has been genuinely helpful...I really appreciate all the ideas! Keep them coming!

Thanks

Lisa

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do apart from safari?

Titianlisa – you look on the bright side and I hope you enjoy your holiday, but I’ve found that pessimists like me are rarely disappointed:-)

Iver Heath, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do apart from safari?

I no what me and the wife do,

but dont think I can explain here :)

Jersey, Channel...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do apart from safari?

I'm a positive person and believe you make your own holiday!!! Positive people make the best out of anything!!

Lisa

10. Re: What to do apart from safari?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2009, 06:23