We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Voyager - Never again.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
104 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Voyager - Never again.

I know that I'm going to get slated on here for saying this, but I got back from the Voyager last night, and have never been so pleased to leave somewhere. When we got there it was like "Wow this place is amazing" but as the week progressed I couldn't wait to get home. Everyone is right, 90%of the staff are amazing and friendly,(particularly the animation teaqm who are brilliant and work so hard it is unreal) but there is something seriously wrong at this hotel. I know that people get upset stomachs on holiday, but to the extent that people were throwing up and having diarrhoea, there is obviously a problem. When myself and two other guests asked to speak to the Captain about this, we were told that no one else had reported being sick!! I know from being on this forum that that is a lie. Also they must know how many times the nurse had been to see ill people.

My husband didn't leave the room for 2 days as he couldn't stop being sick or leave the toilet.He wasn't the only one, lots of people had the doctor out. The way that the bathrooms are next to the corridor, with only mosquito net seperating the top from the outside, meant that you would be in your toilet, being ill, hearing everyone else on your landing being sick or having diarrhoea. It was the opening sentence to nearly every conversation, "Have you got any Immodium?" The hotel, sell them by the bucket load. My husband is still very ill and will be getting tested this week to try to find out what it is that has caused this (E Coli I suspect)

The all inclusive isn't all inclusive. Normally whenever I have been all inclusive there has been a vast varity of drinks available included. At the voyager it is Gin, Whiskey, Vodka, White Rum, Half pints of beer, wine and some of the soft drinks. You can only have a cocktail if it is one of the cocktails of the day (each day there are 4), and these included such far out things as: Snakebite; a shot of vodka with a splash of lime, and a screwdriver; oj and vodka. Not really my idea of a cocktail.

When it says non motorised watersports are included, it should say that you can use them, if you are prepared to pay an extortionate amount for a lesson first. The only thing included are a broken pedalo and canoes, if you aren't prepared to pay £45 for a lesson first.

The food is edible (as long as you don't mind being ill) but the same everynight, no matter where you are docked. Sauteed veg cooked in loads of garlic. Some kind of beef in the same sauce every night with different veg thrown in. Our room didn't get properly cleaned the whole time we were there, there were disgusting looking splashes on the mirror and door of the bathroom, that even though we pointed them out to the cleaner were not cleaned off.

There was a conference going on for the last two days of our stay and boy did we know it. 6:30 am they started dragging chairs across the ceiling above our friends head, waking them both up. Then at 9 am a tannoy and loud music began on the terrace above their room and in the block next to ours. This was right next to the "Quiet Pool" where we had all seen people told off for shouting earlier in the week!! Now it had a party goiing on right next to it. Not exactly relaxing or quiet. Especially when the conference party started jumping over us as we were lying on our sunbeds! The pool attendants didn't stop them.

The conference party were given preferential treatment at the buffet, at the bar and just about everywhere else, to the extent that we were unable to sit down at luch as they had taken all the chairs to the conference!! We then decided to go to the sports pool bar to get a drink and lunch, only to havew to wait an hour and a half to get our food, which wasn't even what we had ordered. When we complained, we were told that paying guests came first!!!!! Err sorry I thought that we had paid to be there 4 months in advance, I'm going to have to check my credit card, perhaps I didn't!! They even stopped serving us halfway through our order to serve someone that was paying with cash!!

I wouldn't reccommend this hotel to anyone, it could be amazing, which is the really sad thing about it. It has mostly great staff, the position of the hotel is great and the weather is wonderful.

We did go and visit the orphanage that Edna suggested and it was brilliant. They kids are a credit to all her hard work and it really brightened up my week taking them some wellies and food and pens etc. Well worth a visit.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Voyager - Never again.

I for one won't be slating you - I just feel gutted that you have had such a terrible experience which is so different to what I've had over the many visits to Voyager. You must speak as you find and this isn't an isolated comment any more.

I am getting the impression that Voyager may have become complacent. Known for a fair few years as one of the best hotels on the coast with so many repeat guests, and now with Captain Wasike being promoted and Sylvester taking over, maybe the new regime hasn't got control of the ship, as Wasike had.

I feel the need to apologise as I'm always harping on about how good Voyager is and I hope this hasn't put you off visiting Kenya again. Do keep us updated.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
95 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Voyager - Never again.

Just when we thought it was safe again...

We are due to travel to Voyager Beach (first time to Kenya) on 15th June with First Choice, and I have to say, I was mortified to read this report today!

I do hope you and your husband make a speedy recovery; I can only imagine how distressing this experience must have been for you.

I have myself sent an email to First Choice this morning asking them whether they are aware of these problems and what their rep in the resort can report back. I will post any comments that are received back here once received.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
104 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Voyager - Never again.

I was really sorry to give such a rubbish report, but really it could be amazing, but misses in so many ways. I was very dissapointed.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Voyager - Never again.

I wouldn't bother e-mailing tour operators. Go straight to the top - Wasike is over Sylvester the captain as he's now ops director (or some similar title) but high up. I'm sure he would be apalled to hear what his guests are experiencing.

wasike.wasike@voyagerresorts.co.ke

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Voyager - Never again.

One of the arguments against going 'all inclusive'.

Is it a case of 'once they have your money they don't care'?

I have never stayed at an all inclusive for this very reason.

Cottages are available for rent all over the south coast, I'm sure the same is true of the north coast for as little as 1200Ksh (£11) a day.

Buying and cooking your own food is simple, and you know the food is fresh.

On the coast fish such as snapper and taffi are caught and sold on the same day.

In an all inclusive you don't know how old the food is, it may of been reheated and reserved.

If I was to stay at an all inclusive it would be Pinewood Village on the south coast because they have a good reputation and probably one of the best beaches in Kenya.

mistrey sorry to hear about your problems but you shouldn't be put of going to Kenya because of incompetence at the Voyager hotel.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
95 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Voyager - Never again.

Hi Tembofan

Advice taken and I have also emailed Wasike. I will report back with his response once received

Inverness
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Voyager - Never again.

Hi All, I have been following the postings about Voyager with concern, like the rest of you this is my holiday of a lifetime. There are many comments of course that we take with a pinch of salt but these problems that are highlighted are becoming too frequent. I too have e-mailed the captain with my concerns and I hope to hear from him soon. I have 10 weeks 'til my departure and although I have concerns I will still go there with an open mind. I will let you know if/when I get a reply from the captain. Regards Faye

West Sussex
Level Contributor
828 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Voyager - Never again.

Hello,

I recently booked to go to the Vogager based on the glowing reviews on TA. I am horrified to think that we could potentially have two dreadful weeks away. I will be watching closely to see the feed back from the hotel and reviews from those of you yet to visit. Lets hope that now that these issues have been high lighted, something will be done about it.

Charity

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
104 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Voyager - Never again.

Faye, like you, this was to be our dream holiday, our honeymoon, and only holiday without the children. I had read the reports before we left but decided to go with an open mind. As I said in my original post, it wasn't all bad, it's just that the bad, eventually ruined anything that had been good. I just feel sad that when I think of our honeymoon, the good things, are kind of overshadowed by the bad. I tried, however to give a balanced view as I'm aware that it is all too easy to discount someone who says nothing was good.

If they sorted out this food poisoning thing, then I'm sure it would have made the holiday more acceptrable, although some bits were really bad.

Hopefully byt the time others go they will have sorted this problem out. The hotel did try to blame the illness on the malaria tablets, unfortunately for them, we, and several others had been on ours for 5 weeks by that time, so that didn't wash.

As I said this has the potential to be amazing, and so I hope you have a wonderful time.

LEICESTER
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Voyager - Never again.

I Really hope the voyager gets sorted.we go in July all so booked safari with doc so i really feel yuk both had negative reviews today.have to keep everything crossed hoping for improvements. sorry mistry your holiday was a disappointment and thank you for your honesty.