We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling distance on game drives

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire
Level Contributor
447 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
travelling distance on game drives

Hi, just had an email from Julius T Safari's and he said that if we go to Masi mara, we will spend hours travelling in a jeep. Is this so? I was under the impression that there would be more travelling time spent on a road Safari....The problem being I have a very bad back and cannot travel too far a distance, also I tend to get very travel sick. Ithought that the animals were all around you in the parks...or am I just stupid??? Please help me....this is my husbands dream holiday beach for me then safari 3 nights for himmmbut I am beginning to dread it..I really think I wish we weren't going:(

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling distance on game drives

I hope this helps a little.

My wife does get travel sick very easily, to the extent where we cant go on a rowing boat!!

When we have done a safari, both time we have done the road type, she has never been sick. There is so much to look out for she didnt have time to feel sick.

yes you do have to drive around and look for the animals, if i remember right our last driver said we had covered about 500Km in 2 days.

I am sure if you really could not travel too far, there would be a possibility to stay at a lodge that hs a water hole near, but i have to say you might be missing out on so much.

My wife takes travel sickness pills and for my bad back i take pain killers given by my doctor.

You will really have a good time where ever you go i am sure.

Mick

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling distance on game drives

Hi Piggywinkle,

It is correct that you will travel a long distance to the Mara from the coast. It is also correct that you drive around looking for animals on game drives. The usual is around 2-3 hours per game drive but the actual driving to the Mara could be anything up to 6/7 hours.

It's a lot of driving. However, my personal back complaint comprises of a history of broken bottom two bones in the spine, two disintegrated discs bottom spine and a slipped disc at the thoracic (top under my bra fastener...!) I'm OK with the driving. Just take pain killers with you and/or a cushion/pillow from the lodge or hotel. Also, it's worth noting that you can stand up in the vehicle when on game drives so that might ease things a little. With regard to the sickness, the roads are so bumpy in places that the mind is usually diverted! Also, there's lots of sights (typical places where people live, do their jobs etc) so this might aid in the distraction.

I hope this helps. There are masseuses at most of the lodges and hotels which are very used to treating people with bad backs.

Min xx

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling distance on game drives

"I am sure if you really could not travel too far, there would be a possibility to stay at a lodge that hs a water hole near,"

Unfortunately not in the Masai Mara. There is the Mara river, and Little Governors is based next to one of the few swamps, but other than that there is nothing like Kilaguni Lodge in Tsavo W which is located at a water-hole. Besides, water-holes are weather-dependent. If the weather has been dry, any or all existing water-holes will have dried up.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling distance on game drives

sorry i was talking about Tsavo, where i have been. Never been to the mara yet.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
342 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling distance on game drives

Have you looked in to flying to the Mara? You can fly in, stay one or two nights to do game drives, then fly back to the beach for some R&R before going home.

I too suffer from a bad back (5 herniated disks). Moving around, pillows, pain killers, ice, and being distracted by the scenery all make it bearable. Take motion sickness medicine every morning before your game drives. My wife suffers from motion sickness but was fine by taking Dramamine non-drowsy every morning.

You will be very glad you went no matter what. Africa is a great place. Do not miss it.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling distance on game drives

From the coast, and if visiting the Mara, best to fly.

Driving is long (10+/hrs) and you might not be able to get there before dark, if the outfitter will even allow their driver on the road that long/late. Besides the time, it becomes a safety issue as these aren't the best roads.

Besides, there are no lights on these roads and you have to be off park/reserve ground by dusk (6pm).

If you only have 3/days and flying is too costly, consider safari at nearby Tsavo East/West.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling distance on game drives

Hi Piggy,

Coast to nairobi is fine but then it goes down hillwhenu get into the rift valley( is the road from nairobi to naivasha finished yet, not been since beginning of last year) the rift valley non road (unless it is finished in my opinion would not be so good for your back, it's very bumpy and not much of a road. (other ta's,is it still about 5 hrs from nbo.

tsavo is excellent and very nr to the coast + you would have more gamedrive time than the mara.

alternatively take loads of diclofenac and co-codamol.whatever u do u will have a great time.

agy.

you can compare the 2 parks on oiur blog at www.anadventureinafrica.com

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
934 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling distance on game drives

Agy, I love your site. btw, My husband and I visited Ethiopia in January--an amazing country!

Jane

wales
Level Contributor
719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling distance on game drives

Agy, I have just had a look at your web site, the first video is smply amazing

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
965 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travelling distance on game drives

Agy - Nairobi to Naivasha road finished and perfect! Well, it was earlier in the year but I'm sure there must be a few potholes appearing already! And, yes, still around 5 hours Nairobi/Mara - the road through the rift gets worse each time.

On the main query, I have a bad back And get travel sick but suffer neither on the Kenya roads, surprisingly. I find it's better sitting up front with the driver on the roads.

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations