We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsavo east - which lodges are the best

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
portishead
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tsavo east - which lodges are the best

Hiya, which lodges are best in Tsavo East - Ashnil Aruba lodge or the Voi? cheers

mombasa
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsavo east - which lodges are the best

hallo creig

actually voi safarilodge is the best becouse the location.set on a hill where you can view animals coming to drink water at the nearest water hale.the food is also good compared to ashnil lodge

-ashnil is set on the heart of tsavo east near aruba dam.i have never been there. so i simply recommend voi safari lodge.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsavo east - which lodges are the best

Voi Lodge is in a fantastic location, built into the side of a hill, beautiful views and a water hole. The lodge itself is very dated and in need of a major refurb. However how much time is spent in the room. Ashnil is a beautiful new lodge, great rooms with a fabulous shower.. Food is ample with many choices and beautifully prepared and presented. There is a dam to over look but some times it is dry. I have been to both and each has it's own benefits. I have seem lots of wild life at both. Down to personal choice. How about a dnight at each.?

uk
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsavo east - which lodges are the best

done voi and was excellent set high on the hill and you have the hide that you can go in at the bottom right up against the water hole

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tsavo east - which lodges are the best

Aruba was lovely -from what I can gather, much nicer accommodation (it has been newly done out). The watering hole was dry when we were there first week June - but, there were elephants, vultures, warthogs and giraffes right near the pool area nevertheless. Great food too.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,019 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tsavo east - which lodges are the best

Went to both last week. Ashnil is lovely and modern and brand spanking new. The dam is dry and the wildlife around the lodge limited. Hopefully it will return.

Voi Safari lodge (old lodge set in the hill as opposed to Voi Wildlife) still has the wow factor. Rooms have new soft furnishings but the bathrooms are still old and probably the original fittings. The wildlife at the watering hole was prolific - elephants turfing water buffalo out, zebra, and lions. Eles came up into the garden and baboons did their usual dining room raid.

Got to be Voi!

Times running out for me - back on Saturday - yuk!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
652 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tsavo east - which lodges are the best

I have also been to both this year, we had stayed at voi before so the impact was slightly less, the view at voi is immense, but it is desperate for some tlc.

Ashnil was fabulous, unlike Tembo we were amazed at the volume of wildlife around the lodge, but not so much on the game drive near by.

I would definately choose voi if you haven't been before.

Dean

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
858 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tsavo east - which lodges are the best

Just come back on Tuesday and stayed at Voi in Tsavo East not been to Aruba but others who stayed at both preferred Voi for the water holes and wildlife i was extremley happy with Voi and will not hestitate to return again at some point.

Durham, England
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tsavo east - which lodges are the best

Hi

just arrived back on Friday, we stayed 2 nights at Satao Camp and 1 night at Ashnil Aruba. Two very different places to stay; Aruba was a very good hotel, we had no complaints but it was not for us and we wished we had stayed at Satao another night. When we were there last week there was very little to see and we felt totally cut off from the animals because of the electric fence. During our safari we asked our driver to take us to Voi for coffee just so we could enjoy the view, Voi would get our vote every time.

Wherever you stay I am certain you will have an amazing time in this wonderful country.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tsavo east - which lodges are the best

I was very disappointed with the way Ashnil has completely ruined, in my opinion, what used to be a beautiful, remote and peaceful lake. Too much concrete, too many paths, wooden railings and electric fences everywhere. I've just been looking at my photos again - marabout storks by a smoking garbage heap. . . This is not an environmentally sensitive development. Wouldn't get my vote.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,019 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tsavo east - which lodges are the best

When it was just the old bandas it was teaming with wildlife - hippos, elephants, lions, zebra. Aruba Dam is now completely dry so the animals that usually frequented that area have gone - whether its a result of the building work and/or lack of water. Such a shame.

What we did see up that end of the park was the illegal herdsman being arrested for grazing their cattle in the reserve. A KWS ranger told us they would disperse the cattle and let nature take its course. The herdsman would appear in court.

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations