We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone recomend a good, cheap hot air balloon safari?

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone recomend a good, cheap hot air balloon safari?

Is it best to book with the beach boys? I am staying at Diani Sea resort in August, doing a 4 day 3 night safari with JT julius safaris, and a couple of day trips. does anyone know if their is a local hot air balloon company? Don't want to use reps as they rip you off and dosen't go back to local people.

thanks

louise

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone recomend a good, cheap hot air balloon safari?

There is no such thing as a cheap Balloon flight expect to pay between £200-£240. These are operated out of camps and lodges in the masai mara.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone recomend a good, cheap hot air balloon safari?

As Bruce says, there is no such thing as a "cheap" hot air balloon safari. The costs involved are almost identical across the board, due to a number of factors including operator insurance costs, fuel, CO2, maintenance, transportation and catering charges. The money will not go directly to the local people anyway (sorry if this sounds harsh but it's the truth) because, to my knowledge, there are no locals (by which I assume you mean the black Kenyans, not white locals) running balloon operations. They do not yet have the wherewithal or training. I know of only one black Kenyan balloon pilot here. The reps are not ripping you off. It costs what it costs.

FL410

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone recomend a good, cheap hot air balloon safari?

Fair Enough. Was expecting to pay about £150 per head. You say it costs what it costs, but my experiance of booking with a tour operator such as thompson/ thomas cook etc has been for them to 'rip you off' for other excersions! Expecially safaris!

Just trying to gain some information or insight into hot air balloon rides, you came across as a little agressive and rude.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone recomend a good, cheap hot air balloon safari?

I say safari but mean a one day hot air balon ride over east/ west Tsavo. Any names of companys will be greatly appreciated.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone recomend a good, cheap hot air balloon safari?

"Just trying to gain some information or insight into hot air balloon rides, you came across as a little agressive and rude."

Yes, and I posted to give you that information and insight. If I come across as "aggressive and rude" it's simply tone being read into my post. I'm sorry, but I'm not a Brit and therefore, culturally, I don't couch things in the same way as you. We don't really use "please" and "thank you" here, either - no discourtesy intended, just the way it is.

FL410

dubai
Level Contributor
254 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone recomend a good, cheap hot air balloon safari?

Hot air balloon rides are certainly worth it.

FL410 - why the name change?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can anyone recomend a good, cheap hot air balloon safari?

Most all the balloon operators are Europeans, not locals.

Prices are in the $425-$450 range. That's about it.

eldoret
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Can anyone recomend a good, cheap hot air balloon safari?

The best exprience of balloon is not flying the balloon but experience of the view and the amazing scenery - my best suggestion will be Masai Mara - but not sure wether you hve time to visit Masai Mara this is where you can get the value for your money.. balloon cost is about usd 425-450 - but always negotiable, balloon safaris is most operated by Europeans not the local people.

thansk have fun

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can anyone recomend a good, cheap hot air balloon safari?

The majority of hot air balloon operations here are owned and operated by white or mhindi (Indian) Kenyans, together with a smattering of Zimbos and South Africans. The pilots are from all over the world - we have Americans, Brits, French, Zimbabweans, Israelis and Canadians to name but a few.

FL410

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can anyone recomend a good, cheap hot air balloon safari?

FL410 thank you for your replies they have been very helpful. Thank you everyone else for your relies you have all given me something to mull over. Not long till I go now, very excited!!!!