We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regulated safari companies

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Regulated safari companies

Can anyone tell me if any independant safari operators are regulated or recommended by the Tourist Board?

We are thinking of booking our own safari and want to be sure we are choosing a reputable company.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regulated safari companies

Start with a look at http://www.katokenya.org. But their scrutiny isn't very thorough. So use the Kenya Professional Safari Guides Association

http://www.safariguides.org/ and see which companies have got at least a bronze safari guide. The bronze guides' list is hidden a bit. It's here:

safariguides.org/documents/BronzeMembers4thS…

There are good companies who for whatever reason don't have even a single bronze guide. And there are companies with lots of bronze and silver guides who don't always perform with 100% perfection. But I don't know any other way of assessing suitability unless you know someone who went on exactly the same trip last week and thought it was perfect. And even then, such is the nature of a safari, yours might not be.

Good luck!

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regulated safari companies

Hi

Take a look here first, then ask Trip Advisor members about the ones you like the look of.

I can only recommend one of the companies as I have only ever used the same guy - Saffar Tours. He's a bit more expensive but his tours are tailor made and I always have a private vehicle and driver. Like the guy above said, some have no awards and are fantastic, some don't. If I were you, I'd certainly go with word of mouth. Be careful with any personal messages sent to you, check out the person sending it (how many posts etc), if in doubt, ask one of the destination experts (me, tembofan etc) or one of the regular posters, simonbuck, smudger, pjduk etc). They'll point you in the right direction.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294206-c9510/Kenya…

If you want further information, send me a private message.

Min x

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Regulated safari companies

Thanks so much chaps for replying so quickly, and to anyone else who sends me further replies. I'll check out the info you gave me.

4. Re: Regulated safari companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 07:25
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations