We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Mombasa?

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Mombasa?

Hi

just wondering if anyone can tell me what clothes shopping in mombasa is like?? I know when we went to Thailand last summer we were able to buy all our holidays clothes over there really cheap , would this also be true of mombasa or should we pack everything with us?? we're staying a week at Severin Sea Lodge, a week at Papillon Reef Diani and a week in Malindi?

Thanks

Emma

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Mombasa?

you can buy very cheap t/shirts in Mombasa City Centre - nice dresses in the Nawal Centre or even have a trip to the Congoair Market - fabulous place

Bata sell good quality shoes for around 500-700/- or plain run of the mill flip flops for 50-70/-

I think you ought to pack a pair of long trouser [ mens] for dinner and perhaps something smart for evening [ woman] but very smart shirts are availble for 500/- in Lulus or Nawal ...

I think I remember a tailor just near the Severin?

buy the material for around 200-250 metre and get something run up in a couple of days ...

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,061 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Mombasa?

I don't want to offend, but I would take your clothes with you unless you want to look like you've joined a SAGA holidays coach trip! I can't say that I've ever seen any nice modern clothes in Mombasa and the Nawal Centre. OK if you want a salwar kameez maybe.

T-shirts with Jambo and various safari animals on the front can be bought in Mombasa shops and Nakumatt. Loads of stalls selling second hand clothes too.

There is a boutique opposite Nakumatt at Nyali - looks fairly exclusive - anyone know what the prices are like?

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Mombasa?

very expensive !!!!!!!! as is the new Tusker t/shirt shop ...

yes I agree T -I would take my clothes but you can get something in Lulu tidy and after all ..sounds nice to hear someone wants to spend their money for a change .!!!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,326 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Mombasa?

Hi

It is not like Thailand, where there are cheap and barterable fake designer clothes at every turn, or even really cheap quality stuff in the Tesco Lotus or Big C. If you have Thailand in mind, be prepared for a culture shock.

uk
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Mombasa?

emmat74

take your own , you wont need alot either and the little you take get washed and back same day a lot easier, where abouts are you staying in malindi

Wales
Level Contributor
673 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Mombasa?

When I got my bag robbed on the Nairobi-Mombasa bus several years ago I had to buy my clobber in Mombasa. A lot of it I wear up till now, whether it will last until I go on a SAGA holiday I don't know.

I got a lot of it second hand from Kongoea market not sure if it is open again as I heard it had closed due to the cholera outbreak. I bought some trunks and a hat from Nakumat and a shirt from No Maneno on Digo road in town. On previous occasions I've bought things from No Maneno like the usual Tusker T-shirt and a rather dapper Kaunda suit.

Material, Kangas and kikois are best bought in Biashara Street.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Mombasa?

Shop opposite Nakumatt is very expensive & if you look closely there are some UK high street names being passed off as very expensive clothes but next door is a new shop selling lovely T-Shirts, bags etc at very good prices and the owner is a lovely gentleman who will assist you & maybe even give some discount, something you never get at nakumatt.

8. Re: Shopping in Mombasa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2010, 07:17