We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VISA - Advice Please

Southampton
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
VISA - Advice Please

Hi we are travelling to Kenya on 14th Sept 2009 for an 8 night stay at Voyager resort. Just wondered how the best way to go about getting a visa is. I think we've left it a bit late to get one from the UK commission now. But should we just get them at the airport or can we download forms from a website to save time at the airport? Also do we need photos or anything else??

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VISA - Advice Please

Actually costs more to get in UK believe it or not as you have to pay for the cost of photos if you apply here and then you have to send it registered post for safety with postal order or bankers draft, no personal cheques accepted, and then the cost of registerd post to get it retuned to you .... average cost therefore in UK nearer £40 inc.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VISA - Advice Please

download your form on this site kenyahighcommission.net/pdfiles/V12007.pdf fill in the relevant detail and pass it over with your passport to the Immigration officer and $25 ---no photos needed ...

If your traveling with Thompson/ Fc you need another $20 pp for an exit tax ..

Southampton
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VISA - Advice Please

Thanks for the info.

Just not really sure how to go about it. I take it we require single entry visa? (We fly into Nairobi and then transfer to Mombasa and then back to Nairobi for last night before flying home). Is it worth printing off the forms in advance and filling them out at home or should we just do it all at the airport?

Southampton
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VISA - Advice Please

We are travelling with Virgin so does anyone know if there is an exit fee?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,477 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VISA - Advice Please

Hi,

Print them off and fill them out at home, you will avoid the scrum for pens and a place to write and get into the queue earlier. Yes you only need a single trip one.

You should not need to pay departure tax it only applies to First Choice / Thomson and sometimes Thomas Cook customers

Southampton
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VISA - Advice Please

Great, thanks for all your help!! ;)

Gatwick, west sussex
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VISA - Advice Please

Do we need one of those each for the kids as well?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VISA - Advice Please

children under 12 are free (don't need visas). try and have exact amount in us$ as it sometime takes them forever to get you change. you may also pay in sterling but it's cheaper in us$.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,477 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VISA - Advice Please

Hi,

You don't have to pay for children under 16, but as I don't have kids myself I don't know whether that means they get a free visa or whether it means they do not need one at all. Perhaps someone who has kids can advise.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: VISA - Advice Please

Hi, children still need a visa, but it is free.

Print off the forms and fill in before you arrive, no photos needed, these are for postal applications only.

Your face and passport will do, and I understand they now take a digital photo at immigration

Ivan