We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

voyager hotel, the truth please

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
morayshire scotland
2 posts
Save Topic
voyager hotel, the truth please

having read all the good "and they far outweighed the bad" reviews of this resort we have booked a two week stay next august 2010. then i braced myself and read the bad reports, am very worried about the food as they seemed to say that there were many stomach upsets at hotel and someone got a nasty bug that they were still suffering from after three weeks at home, we want to have the kenya experiance but without food problems, anyone out there with good advice, have we been too hastly? we aware that some people complain easyily, we had same balance of good and bad reports when we went to bermuda but we found it to be fantastic.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: voyager hotel, the truth please

We have just returned from a two week stay. We had a superior seaview room which was near the serenity pool (adult only pool) overlooking the oceon. Rooms do vary tho even fro the same spec but ours was a basic room but had all you need with aircon, fridge, tv etc. Clean and comfy but no frills.

My wife always seem to suffer with her stomach to varying degrees when we go away and this trip was no exception. She is still suffering after being back 3 days. We don't know if it is the Malerone side effects. She did have a really bad couple of days whilst there tho which we think was something she ate. I would say that on the whole the food at the buffet was good. Always something to choose from. They have themes each night but only about 30% of the food follows the themes so there is plenty of stuff which is served every night so you'll never be stuck. Watch for the stir fry tho as we think it was this which got my wife when they put cooked chicken into the wok and re-heated it (perhaps not enough!)

The italian restuarant (this is part of the AI deal and is by the side of the sports pool and candlelit) is really nice but you have to book this and the menu is not massive so you would struggle after 3 or 4 visits - but it is worth that many if you can get in. We never went to the other restuarant as you have to pay 50% but I was led to believe it was very good.

All in all we enjoyed our stay. The animation team are really good and there is always something going on for those who do not like laying on a sunbed all day. Pool vollyball, pool basketball, beach volley ball (actually at the front of the hotel but on sand!), quizes, Swaheli lessons, etc etc etc. You get beads for taking part and extra value beads for winning which add up over two weeks and then you can exchange them in the gift shop for certain items - worth collecting if you are doing the activities.

Any other q's give me a shout.

LEICESTER
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: voyager hotel, the truth please

we stayed in voyager in July loved every thing about the hotel.i ate salads and stir fry every day with no problems.we read a couple of negative posts before we went but all our concerns disappeared as soon as we got there.a lot of the food is cooked as you wait to your liking.we want to go again as soon as we earn some more pennies don't worry you will love it.everyone that we spoke to commented how good the food was.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: voyager hotel, the truth please

Not this old chestnut again.

The "bad" reports you are referring to were very well discussed and documented on here. There have been no occasions of bad hygiene practice in the restaurants and kitchens. The Bug was just that, a bug. They occur all over the World.

Let's not raise this ugliness again please. Voyager is a very well respected, safe and professional hotel. You have decided wisely and you will not be disappointed.

Min

Oxford
Level Contributor
79 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: voyager hotel, the truth please

Everytime I've been to Kenya I had suffered to a varying degree of Mombasa express, apart from last time when we were advised to have some local yoghurt everyday. It seemed to work. Other people at the hotel at the same time also said they felt much better after their daily dose of yoghurt at breakfast.

Always blamed the malarone or the large quantities of Tusker malt though before never quite sure which though.

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: voyager hotel, the truth please

Going to Voyager in January fro the 3rd year running (Haved stayed at other hotels).

Only tummy problem ever had was day after eating out at a 'locals cafe' up the coast.

Fully agree with Min. Ignore most of the bad reviews - alot of them have a hidden agenda as Min and I know.

We were both at Voyager earlier this year when there was one terrible review. We know the truth.

Relax and go with an open mind and I am sure you will enjoy yourself.

wales
Level Contributor
719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: voyager hotel, the truth please

We got back last month, the only person who had any trouble in our group was one of my daughters who complained of slight nausea, she was taking Malarone and her symptoms were the same as a lot of other people who took Malarone..........My husband and I ate everything (yes everything) and we had no problems at all. The food was fantastic and the hygiene standards were excellent throughout the hotel. We took Doxy, at fraction of the price of Malarone and like others in the hotel who were taking it, we were side effect free.

Jersey, Channel...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: voyager hotel, the truth please

Going off the topic a bit.....welsh-lady..Did you have any of the sun sensitivity reactions with Doxy? I was considering it as we can get it free, but I am a pale, freckly red-head and was concerned about this side effect? I have taken a different anti biotic for an infection on holiday in the past which resulted in me getting a prickly heat rash and I NEVER want that again!

Sorry to distract for the original topic....!!

Lisa x

West Yorks, England
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: voyager hotel, the truth please

We stayed at Voyager in July.

No problems at all with the food or dodgy tummy's

We only ate at the main buffet restaurant, but ate everything on offer.

Enjoy

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,384 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: voyager hotel, the truth please

Hi,

I'm not a Welsh lady but I am fair-haired (or rather was, afraid it a bit salt and pepper with the emphasis on the salt these days) pale skinned with freckly arms and I have recently spent 3 months in Kenya using doxy and had absolutely no problems with sun sensitivity at all. (I'm not a sunbather)

Jersey, Channel...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: voyager hotel, the truth please

Thanks doffcocker

My GP has offered me a weeks course as a trial, so I think I may take him up on it whilst we still have sun here in Jersey!

Many thanks

Lisa x