We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free - in Nairobi?

dorset
Level Contributor
553 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free - in Nairobi?

Hello

We are flying Kenya Airways from London - Mombasa via Nairobi.

As we have to change a/c and terminals in Nairob, do we need to purchase our Duty Free in Nairobi rather than London?

If so, which terminal do we do this in, and how is the selection?

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free - in Nairobi?

Depends what you want -when leaving the duty free very limited in nairobi not like your usual international airport. Cigarettes are very limited in choice and no superkings like UK. Prices are all in dollars $15 average which they converted out to 1300KS. At heathrow 200 Berkeley menthol superkings cost £25. We were ushered through from international so quick on arrival i did not even see the duty free. Drink wise, as we dont drink much i never noticed prices.

Oxford
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free - in Nairobi?

You will find it easier and have greater choice if you buy in London. Just make sure that any bottles are sealed otherwise they will be taken off you at Nairobi.

I imagine you don't have to wait around Nairobi for too long before your connecting flight to Mombasa so if you've already purchased it you can go straight through immigration and then on to the domestic terminal.

The other hassle with Nairobi duty free shops is more often than not they say the card machine isn't working (whether it is or not) so if you don't have sufficient cash you will have to go to the ATM

3. Re: Duty Free - in Nairobi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2010, 06:15