We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenyan Adventures And Beyond Reviews Please

Manchester
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kenyan Adventures And Beyond Reviews Please

Am booking a honeymoon next August and am very close to sending my card details through to pay a deposit for Il Moran in Masai which is normally very expensive. I have managed to secure for £760 each plus £240 each for balloon trip.

From quotes and reviews I've read this is excellent. Any thoughts from any one else?!

However, I've just read a couple of bad reviews about them not turning up at the hotel as promised and am now really nervous about confirming the booking!!!

Please, if any one has any reviews good or bad I'd love to hear them!

It is obviously really important to me that this is an amazing experience and don't want it spoilt by a 'dodgy' safari company!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenyan Adventures And Beyond Reviews Please

Who are you planning to book with? You don't say. As for Governor's Il Moran, yes it has a pretty good reputation, but it is exceedingly expensive for what you get, in my view. I haven't stayed there, only visited. But I have stayed in a lot of places, and although I can see you could be wowed by the whole Governors' set-up (they have three principal camps), I think they're resting on their laurels. The attention to detail and intimacy of the experience you'd expect for these prices just isn't there, while it is in some of the smaller camps in the conservancy areas. And if you do stay at Il Moran, be sure to have a tent that doesn't have an access path running right along in front of it! (whose lack of planning was that?).

I hope others will chime in to offer different views, but I hope this is helpful.

Meanwhile, tell us who you're dealing with and what you're getting for £760 each.

Richard

Manchester
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenyan Adventures And Beyond Reviews Please

Hi Richard

Thanks for your post - the company is Kenyan Adventures and Beyond run by "Doc". Just read mixed reviews - but I guess that's quite normal for any company!

Staying in Kole Kole section of Baobab next August

Leitrim, Ireland
Level Contributor
363 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenyan Adventures And Beyond Reviews Please

Hi we have just returned from a safari with the. I too had reservations as it was my first time. I emailed Doc re the reviews, However I had nothing to be concerned about.

The service and safari was fantastic.

Doc texed to confirm our meeting.

Doc met us the evening before, we had to meet outside the hotel gates, again seemed the norm as there were other companies there too.

We were given a paper itinary for our trip, and all the lodges we had chosen.

Abdullah met us outside the hotel in the morning, lovely guy.

Doc again texed that day to make sure we were all ok.

The trip was so good we used their services again for a one day teip to Funzi Island.

I hope to return in Feb and will use them again.

We asked for a jeep which was provided most people has mini bus.

Hope you have a great time

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenyan Adventures And Beyond Reviews Please

Hi, I returned Tuesday & also used Doc for our safari to Kichwa Tembo. My personal opinion is that I wouldn't use him again for several reasons:

He was very quick to respond to e-mail queries, but as soon as the deposit was paid, we never received a receipt for this or an itinerary, despite sending numerous e-mails requesting this. We only got a handwritten receipt upon meeting him at our hotel.

The driver he used to collect us & return us to our hotel was very rude - the morning he collected us, the first thing he said wasn't 'good morning' but 'you're late!'. Doc wrote down & verbally agreed our collection time as 6.30am & he turned up at 6am. When collecting us from Mombasa airport, he kept insisting when we return home we tell everyone how good Doc is & to encourage people to book with him. We never heard from him again once we'd paid the balance.

We had to pay 600 shillings departure tax at Mombasa airport & some other small things, despite being informed this was already included in the price paid.

When we return to Kenya, we will be booking direct with Kichwa Tembo & will also book the air transfer separate with Mombasa Air Safaris.

Sorry this isn't too good, but it's my honest & personal opinion.

Ang

bristol
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenyan Adventures And Beyond Reviews Please

firstly kole kole is amazing i have stayed there twice as for doc i have used him once for a day trip and would prob not use him again as i had a much better service from other company we used wt safari only a couple of min from kole kole and have recomended them to several other people who have all been very pleased. you can contact ann sanderson who is a uk contact fot wt and you can book with her with a deposit and pay your balance once in kenya. ann used to work with doc but has clearly had her reasonsfor moving on. any more info feel free to get in touch

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenyan Adventures And Beyond Reviews Please

.......and this is what the forum is for ........................

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenyan Adventures And Beyond Reviews Please

Sorry to hear of your problems gobofraggle. We have booked our safari with another local company (send me a pm if you want the name as I've been in trouble before re:advertising). They sent a receipt for our deposit (paid to a UK bank, so no transfer costs) one day later , first accom voucher a couple of days later, and other two vouchers within a week. They have answered all my questions fully and seem very friendly and helpful. So we have high hopes for next July.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenyan Adventures And Beyond Reviews Please

Hi,

well, i can only speak from our personal experiences. We used Doc and his agency KABS for several safaris in the past years (including longer trips like 11 and 16days Kenya and also twice for 16 days Northern Tanzania with finish some days in the Mara and some shorter trips). He also organized our wedding this year in february and the honeymooner safari for our group.

We have had never any negative experiences and we always cleared in advance what is included and what not. Never heard of a departure tax at hte airport in Mombasa, but this does not mean, that here isn`t one. We never had to pay any extras during all our safaris despite it was mentioned before, that this is not included. But as written - we are always checking in advance what is included and what not.

Before our first long safari Doc met us at the hotel on the north coast with our driver and the car for the safari to show us both and if this will be okay for us.

Before every safari he met us or picked us from the hotel and informed us about the things. We always got the affordable papers, especially after an advance payment (we are also needing this for our travel insurance here).

Also if there have been problems because of the heavy rains in 2006/2007 he informed us early and suggested us to change the accomodation in the Mara which was a great thing.

During the post election violences he kept us updated regarding our trip at the end of jan 2007.

We always felt being in good hands and from our many experiences we can highly recommand him.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Bye

Chrissy

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenyan Adventures And Beyond Reviews Please

My experience with KABS was almost word for word as Siberianpack describes above. We even had the same driver (Abdullah). I couldn't fault the service we received and wouldn't hesitate to use the company again.

LEICESTER
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenyan Adventures And Beyond Reviews Please

we had a great safari with this company in july.Doc phoned us when we arrived back from massai mara to check all went well.all was well organised.

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa