We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsavo East or West - which is best

harlow, essex
Level Contributor
22 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Tsavo East or West - which is best

Hi again....

i think ive made up my mind to go to amboseli, - but due to costs can only go to one of Tsavo east or west as well...

which is better and why? im going round in circles here trying to look it up and getting nowhere!

hope you can help! - thank you so much in advance!

Claire

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsavo East or West - which is best

Hi,

both parks have its advantages.

The advantage of Tsavo East is, that you don`t have so much bushes as in Tsavo West. This means, that spotting animals is in Tsavo East not so hard as in Tsavo West.

The landscape is in both parks very nice.

For the first time i would prefer the Tsavo East over the Tsavo West.

Bye

Chrissy

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsavo East or West - which is best

I prefer Tsavo West for its scenery, it contains more hills and thicker bush, also less vehicles. If you are set on Amboseli then you will have chance to experience a savannah landscape simmilar to that of Tsavo East.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsavo East or West - which is best

Depending on what do you prefer to see. Tsavo East the Game viewing is better then the Tsavo West. But if you enjoy landscapes, and also the ease of Travel on the Safari then definetly Tsavo West is the first choice.

1. Tsavo West

2. Amboseli

3. via Emali back to Mombasa

so you do not drive twice the same route, with Tsavo east you would drive twice via Emali

Kenya is great

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tsavo East or West - which is best

If you're set on Amboseli, then definitely do Tsavo West as well, not Tsavo East. It makes sense logistically, but also for the reasons Bruce mentions. And Mzima Springs, even with fewer hippos than before the drought, is one of Kenya's absolute wonders.

Have a good trip!

Richard

harlow, essex
Level Contributor
22 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tsavo East or West - which is best

Hi

Would you say perhaps given the distance amboseli may not be worth it then?

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tsavo East or West - which is best

Yes, maybe. Personally, I'd do Tsavo East and Tsavo West, in that order. If the skies are clear when you get to Tsavo West, there are one or two places where you can see Kilimanjaro (usally early am), but there's no guarantee, and Amboseli with no view of Kilimanjaro can be a bit disappointing.

Richard

7. Re: Tsavo East or West - which is best

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations