We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sofari so confused

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
sofari so confused

Hi we are at voyager over xmas with 11 and 13 year olds. Would like to go on air safari (as years ago hubby and I did tsavo e/w and amboseli ) Are there any families out there who have recently been on safari to the Mara and who can recommend a tour company. Any help greatly appreciated.

1. Re: sofari so confused

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 January 2010, 16:35
Edited: 18 January 2010, 16:35
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sofari so confused

Thanks their web site looks good, have you used them and if so did you take children?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,396 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sofari so confused

Thom,

i would take anything Eddie says with a pinch of salt, he seems to either work for them or be an agent for them. Virtually every post of his in 2007 used to promote Skyview of Africa, presumably he changed jobs and was somewhere else in 2008 and must have changed again as since he returned in 2009 virtually every post promotes waytoafrica.

His only two other contributions are to edit the contact details of this company in the list of tour providers

You've had a good run Eddie but you are rumbled

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sofari so confused

cheers arghhhh just trying to book best option with the children ( obvoiusly safety is a concern, we went to tsavo e/w and amboselli years ago BC ( before children ) but felt that the mara may have it all views and animals.

DO you think the mara is best for views and animals in dec? If so do you have any companies in mind that you would recommend.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sofari so confused

thom

I would simply go on how many silver and bronze guides the company has and take it from there. 11 and 13 years olds will have a fantastic time (assuming they're keen on the idea in the first place). Kicheche and Porini (Gamewatchers) are very good with kids, as are Offbeat. All have loads of highly qualified guides and excellent, small (and small footprint) tented camps, in the Mara, Laikipia and (in the case of Porini), the Amboseli area.

Good luck planning!

Richard

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sofari so confused

Hi yes the kids are really interested I had no idea about the guides is this the sort of qualification they have ( like egyptologists). Is this the sort of question you would ask them in an email. Thanks for your help have you had any reviews or experience with wildlife - kenya for safari they are recommending camp ososhaiki. ? cheers

wirral
Level Contributor
291 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sofari so confused

hi there

we have just come back from camp oloshaki it is a beautiful camp a real out of africa experance you can read my review on it and we have used wildlife kenya safari for quite a few years now have just been in touch again to go back to the mara again this year

any questions just feel free to ask

ann

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sofari so confused

The Heritage group which run Voyager and the Mara intrepids camps runs a young ranger programme which you might find of interest,

heritage-eastafrica.com/kids-teens/…

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sofari so confused

Thanks guys for all your suggestions, I will look at all of them, Was it chilly in the evenings when you went in december, we have just returned from marsa alam and was a bit nippy at night.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sofari so confused

This December on the coast was one of the hottest times I have visited for many years. The evenings were hot and humid.